How important is an airlock really??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waskelton4

Reaction score
Ok.. So i've got this plan to do a 5 gallon boil and split it up into maybe 6 different small fermentors and top each one off with various different steeped and mini mashed grain "teas" to get a good idea what each one tastes like on its own and what it contributes to a brew.

I'm going to try in the next couple of days to find some 1 gallon glass or maybe PET jugs to use. (any good ideas on where to find any free ones?)
my question is.. if i just use foil and a rubber band to cap these small fermentors with am I in any real danger of anything going wrong? I'd think not but i wanted to get some opinions. I just don't see the need to buy 6 drilled stoppers and airlocks. I guess i could use the ballon with a needle hole punched in it trick :)

Thanks
will

and FWIW
here are the different grains i'm contemplating testing. 5 at a time with one control that only has Light LME and a mild bittering hop. (Probably either EKG or cascade)

Crystal 120L
Crystal 60L
Malt - Pale Chocolate
Chocolate
Malt - CaraRed
Victory
English Brown

I don't think you would have any problems with foil idea. At least not during active fermentation, but in the secondary I would want my batches to be less "breathable". You would still probably have success in any event. If it was me though, I would just pick up an airlock and some stoppers. They are the cheapest piece of equipment in this hobby. $5.00 would buy you as many as you would ever need.

Thanks..
I don't really plan on having any secondary fermentation on any of these..
probably just two weeks in primary under foil.
I don't have an local home brew shop so i have to order on line...
ok so after checking that is 1.85 for a stopper and airlock.. x 6 = about 11 bucks.
not a ton.. but it would add up to about another batch of beer :)

anyone have any thoughts on my list of grains... leave any off or add any to the list?

thanks all
ws

waskelton4 said:
stopper and airlock.. x 6 = about 11 bucks.
not a ton.. but it would add up to about another batch of beer :)

Yeah, but you only need one batch to go bad and you'll be wishing you went and invested in some stoppers and airlocks. It's only a matter of time. Money well spent IMHO. Good luck with the batches.

You could try the old balloon trick. You put a pinhole in a balloon and put it over the mouth of the fermentor. The theory is that the hole stays closed until the pressure builds up and expands the balloon, then it bleeds off steadily.

true true...

i'll be able to order on wednesday so i'll think it over and look for some jugs in the meantime..

any thoughts on the experimental grains??

ws

get it out of those tubs as soon as it's done fermenting.

your fine as long as the air is travelling out (i.e. the pressure is higher inside the tubs) as soon as the fermentation is done you're gonna have air coming te other way, which is bad.

waskelton4 said:
true true...

i'll be able to order on wednesday so i'll think it over and look for some jugs in the meantime..

any thoughts on the experimental grains??

ws

If you threw them all together and added some roasted barley, you could make a nice imperial stout... I know that's not the kind of feedback you're looking for, but you're wrong.

:drunk:

Chairman Cheyco said:
If you threw them all together and added some roasted barley, you could make a nice imperial stout... I know that's not the kind of feedback you're looking for, but you're wrong.

:drunk:

yeah...
well .. it turns out i bailed on the experimental stuff and just ordered a 5 gal better bottle with hood and airlock and two kits and a big arse can of cherry puree.

experiments come later....

ws

Buy some apple juice in glass jugs, make cider, drink cider, do jug experiments when you can see again.

Some breweries use open fermentation and there were recently plans in BYO for building an open fermentation vessel. However, those breweries maintain pretty sanitary conditions in their fermentation rooms.

I wasn't willing to try it, but it is interesting.

david_42 said:
Buy some apple juice in glass jugs, make cider, drink cider, do jug experiments when you can see again.

Bought a gallon of apple juice in a glass jug on the way home from work yesterday.

as soon as my beer order comes in one of the N'ham packets is going in..
well.. maybe i'll by another jug and make two jugs....

ws

Back