How hot was it outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCfb75

Reaction score
Just finishing a two batch brew day with a heat index of 105!! What the hottest you’ve brewed at? After this I would rather brew when it’s cold out.

WIMP:p Average temp this time of year here is over 100.....heat index? Who cares:cool:

Heat index is what it feels like with the humidity. Essentially the temp while in the shade.

103 index here today. Highest I’ve brewed in was 90 under a canopy, with an industrial fan blowing on me.

Heat index is what it feels like with the humidity. Essentially the temp while in the shade.
Yeah, I know what it is...the point being when the TEMP is already 103+, who freaking cares how much hotter it feels like. Kind of like -10F and the wind chill at minus 33....I mean your face is already numb at -10.:eek: (been there....)

Proper clothing can help with cold....only lack of clothing can help with heat....and that just ain't legal, or in my case, ain't pretty:D

I've brewed in the garage over propane on 85-90F days. Not fun, but doable. Nothing like you folks in the sunbelt deal with. At least we have cooler goundwater here--mid-60s now, so chilling will be quick.

Today's forecast was for mid-90s, but some cloud cover moved in, keeping it in the 80s. Still, a 77F dewpoint. Brewing next week, hope this humidity will break by then.

Have you ever been in 100F weather with humidity above 80%?

It's literally like a sauna. Go in the shade all you like you'll just sweat your nuts off there too.

I get what you are saying, hot is hot, but I've been in 110F Arizona oven heat and 100F Florida swamp ass heat, and I'll take the dry heat any day.

Our average is over 100 with typical 60% humidity from June thru Sep. Today is cool...98 and Heat Index of 106. You can't walk outside without sweating...hell, you can't stand out there without sweating because we also are usually cloudless and that sun is HOT at this latitude.
I limit my brewing to 5 AM - 10 AM and in the garage.
And I know what you mean about that swamp heat....Louisiana is a killer!!! Thought I was getting a break when I got here....WRONG

You know what, when I was a kid we had heatwaves of over 100 in Connecticut and it was only mentioned in the news during the forecast. There was no talk of “cooling centers” or whatever. Now it’s like WW3 is beginning when the temperature goes above 90!

Try Okinawa in July! Open the door and your drenched. Sad to say back then I was more concerned with price. MGD was $1.25/6pk at the 7 day store. ‘99/‘00

Here's today's weather entry; note the dew point and the "feels like." This is supposed to be frozen tundra! As a note, there's no way I'd brew in temps like this.

Dewpoint.JPG

Brewed at 95F yesterday - East Texas. Problem is ground water was 84F coming out of the hose so my plate chiller only got wort to about 86F [emoji52]

Even if I had empty kegs to fill (I don't) this crazy heat is not for brewing, it's for enjoying brews on hand.
And I really need to get some connected thermostats. Came home from a week on The Cape Of Cod (which was 20°F cooler than inland reports) to a house that was toasting away in the nineties. Woof!

Cheers!

Was like 91 or so with 65% humidity at the height of my brewing today; heat index ~105 I think. Honestly it wasn't pleasant, but once you commit yourself mentally, it's tolerable.

82. it's always around that temp where i'm from. nice and warm, not hot, not cold :D

82. it's always around that temp where i'm from. nice and warm, not hot, not cold :D

Isn't that the place where brewing ingredients and almost everything else is hideously expensive? :)

Everything is a tradeoff. Whereas your temp is fairly constant, we went from a wind-chill during the polar vortex of -63 degrees to a heat index (feels like) of 112 yesterday. That's a range of 175 degrees!

In exchange for dealing with such extremes, I pay 74 cents for 2-row malt, $1.03 for Maris Otter, and no sales tax (it's food, not taxed).

Weather vertigo? Sure!

i had to skip this whole thread just to say...i brew indoors on the stove and my inside temp gets to 93f...i don't know what 90% humidity and 93f works out for a heat index....but i know i have to drink a lot of beer to stay hydrated...:D

(S.AZ 105f outside, boiling 15 gals of wort inside...too cheap to turn on the A/C..lol, just some box fans in the windows)

Isn't that the place where brewing ingredients and almost everything else is hideously expensive? :)

Everything is a tradeoff. Whereas your temp is fairly constant, we went from a wind-chill during the polar vortex of -63 degrees to a heat index (feels like) of 112 yesterday. That's a range of 175 degrees!

In exchange for dealing with such extremes, I pay 74 cents for 2-row malt, $1.03 for Maris Otter, and no sales tax (it's food, not taxed).

Weather vertigo? Sure!

Yes, and shipping costs are about $100 more than the item you're trying to buy, if you try to buy anything in bulk lol. I'd be out of business if not for the LHBS. Still, it's $1.80/lb for 2-row and $3/lb for anything else. With that said, still under half the cost of buying craft beers for $12 or $15! Sure there are some that sell for $10, but my favorites are the $12/$15 variety. Ironically both of my favorites used to sell for 9.99, and I guess they're popular because over time they started getting more expensive. Eventually I said F that and started brewing those clones myself lol.

That and having to buy ice to chill wort. The water temp is about 78 so, can't really get it to pitching temp with just the tap water haha.

And the cost of living here is nuts. Paradise has a price tag on it. I'd probably move to the mainland if I didn't need to be near the ocean so much :D

Last edited:
My last brew was a couple weeks ago. Air temp 91, temp on porch 105. Humidity on porch probably 99% Tap water was measured at 87 degrees.

BTW, it has been in the upper 80s and low 90s for several months.

Same temperatures that the north is seeing now and no excessive heat warnings......

Latest posts

Back