How fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcltoys

Reaction score
I pitched yeast at 8:00 Monday morning on a batch of IPA SG was 1.087 Took a sample at 8:00 tonight it's at 1.011 is this normal I know to let it go for 2 to 3 weeks but that's pretty some fast yeast eating.

Yes that is definitely possible. What was the temperature during fermentation and what yeast did you use? Remember that it doesn't necessarily mean it is done, yeast do some cleaning up when they are done dropping the gravity. I am probably a bit on the outside of the norm on turnaround time these days but I prefer 3 weeks in the fermenter before kegging. I have done faster many times but always prefer the beer if I leave it.

Temp in my basement is 64 it's been on the floor so maybe a little cooler I used us-05. And yes I do plan on letting it go for 2 weeks min but proly 3. I have never had a batch go so fast.Pitched at 64 to

I've had a couple that I thought failed to start, as I'm used to that great bubbling of the s-locks by the end of day 2. Yet a quick check showed them dry as a bone. I figured I must be buying the yeast equipped with teleporters, sending the sugars off to the homeworld or something. No issues with the beer, though.

Why such a long process?
IPAs are best enjoyed young, keeping them on the yeast for 3 weeks is going in wrong direction.

fwiw, my typical IPA/DIPA batches hit terminal gravity within 4-5 days from the pitch (and sometimes just 3 days).
Four more days for the final dry hopping with a temperature bump to 68°F, two days for cold crashing before kegging and putting on CO2, and they're ready as soon as a spot in the keezer opens up...

Cheers!

I would say that is why we Homebrew. 2 weeks for you, 4 for me and perfect for each of our tastes.

Why such a long process?
IPAs are best enjoyed young, keeping them on the yeast for 3 weeks is going in wrong direction.

fwiw, my typical IPA/DIPA batches hit terminal gravity within 4-5 days from the pitch (and sometimes just 3 days).
Four more days for the final dry hopping with a temperature bump to 68°F, two days for cold crashing before kegging and putting on CO2, and they're ready as soon as a spot in the keezer opens up...

Cheers!
I have always done the 2/3 week thing i'm going to check gravity again today if it has not changed I'm going to keg it. This is a experimental batch anyway was not going to dry hop this one.

Most yeast will finish all the way in 5-7 days. How much cleaning up they do after reaching FG is up for debate. I have seen the active portion of fermentation end in as little as three days, but I have no idea the gravity at that stage, I always wait 2 weeks.

When I started, there were 2 vocal camps, some said anything longer than 2 weeks was a waste of time. The other camp said that the beer needs 4 weeks or it will not be done. I opted for 3. I had a hiccup in my pipeline and needed some faster so I did the 2 week and package. I didn't see any difference. Now I go 2 weeks, but often longer because of laziness and sometimes much longer. All the beers have been good.

I don't see any need to get crazy over how long a beer or how fast a beer ferments. Wait until you think it is ready, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 weeks.. whatever then take a gravity reading to confirm it has not stalled then package it. Learn the possible differences and make your own decision on when your beer is ready.

I guess I forgot the cold crash part I will do that and keg on Monday.

My 1.060 ipa was at 1.021 at 2.25 days post pitch. I kegged it today at 1.008.... and that’s only because I was out of town from day 3-6. Should be drinking next weekend.

Best words of advice I can offer - as soon as it’s at FG, package it.

Back