How fast do banana flavors fade in a weissbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I keep seeing online that the banana character in a weissbier fades “quickly” but no specifics on how fast. If I wanted to make one for competition, should I be trying to have it done immediately before I need to submit bottles. Or will it be good a week out? A month?

I've been making them for 14 years, as they're my 1 of my 2 favorites. Drinking 1 right now as I type. The banana flavor takes about 2 months to fade to bland. You'll be ok. The reason you don't see a timeline in it fading is it depends on how strong the taste is at kegging/bottling. Different yeasts, different ferm temps, different mash temps get different results. But yes, you'll be ok a week and even a month out. I've won awards with my hefes, so if you have questions, message me if you want to, and I'll help all I can.

I've been making them for 14 years, as they're my 1 of my 2 favorites. Drinking 1 right now as I type. The banana flavor takes about 2 months to fade to bland. You'll be ok. The reason you don't see a timeline in it fading is it depends on how strong the taste is at kegging/bottling. Different yeasts, different ferm temps, different mash temps get different results. But yes, you'll be ok a week and even a month out. I've won awards with my hefes, so if you have questions, message me if you want to, and I'll help all I can.
Thanks for the response! This was my first hefe, did a triple decoction and the banana aroma was very strong coming out of the airlock when fermentation was at its peak. I kegged it yesterday and am hoping to enter it into a comp later in January!

Back