How far to space burners from each other?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Currently, I have a single Blichmann burner affixed to a stand on casters. I’m looking to get a second Blichmann (and potentially a third later down the road). Based on the size of the rig I built, I’m wondering this: How far apart should two burners be positioned? Or maybe more to the point, how close is too close?

Same question about the propane tank. Currently, I have the propane tank positioned on the stand several feet away from my burner. As I look at crowding the stand with additional burner(s), I’m wondering how far away the tank should be to be considered safe? The burner(s) are/will be on leg extensions. So, in general they’re positioned at a higher profile than if they were sans extensions.

Thanks

A picture would be helpful as it's not obvious what's going on. Will the second burner be installed in the same "rig" as the first - or are they both on separate sets of legs?

Spacing between burners needs to consider kettle diameter. I built a 3 vessel single tier stand provisioned for three Blichmann floor burners though I only installed the burners for the BK and HLT at the ends of the stand (it's a HERMs system so no burner needed for the MLT). The burners are on 24" centers which is comfortable for my three 20 gallon kettles. They could have been spaced tighter if I was still using 10 gallon kettles.

As for the gas cylinder, I keep mine about 8 feet away from the closest burner (location is dictated by my brew room setup) but I don't think that much distance is actually needed...

Cheers!

Here’s a pic
4B286EB1-EC43-4AE6-A58D-3C743865FB05.jpeg

As is, I could definitely get another burner on there. However, I’m not sure if I’d have unexpected issues from crowding. If I place the burners just far enough away that my kettles fit next to each other, might there be issues like a hotspot in the middle? I’m wondering if it’s best practice to have ____ inches between kettles, or something along those lines.

Then the other question is about proximity of the burner to the propane tank. It’s convenient to have the tank on the mobile platform, but off course, safety comes first. Is it a fair assumption that as long as the tank and line are at a distance away where, by hand, you don’t feel radiant heat, you’re safe?

That picture answered the big question (what the heck is he building? ;))

I would position the burner stands to provide 6 inches of air gap between the kettles, minimum.
That's what I run and it provides sufficient spacing between the burners so one burner isn't splashing the opposite kettle with hot exhaust. As well I can position my kettle handles in that gap and have never had a handle so warm as to be uncomfortable to use.

Assuming those are 2x6 boards on the deck you should be able to position the burners to give that 6" air gap, while allowing deck space for the gas cylinder (or two of them) to ride along when you're moving the rig. But, once positioned, I would take the gas cylinder(s) off the platform and position it/them behind the kettles for safety sake, so orient the burner stands so the venturi bells point out the back...

Cheers!

Cool, 6” between kettles sounds good.

Yes, I should have mentioned I planned to rotate the current burner/ venturi bell 90 degrees to give more space on the stand, and the second burner would be positioned the same.

I’m still thinking about adding a few planks to give me more room to keep the propane tank on the platform.

I use the same burners you do, and with the help of two heat shields I was able to squeeze that down to 3.5” between both BK and HLT to an insulated MT. The outside of MT never gets over “slightly warm to the touch”. The Blichmann come with one shield and it’s not too tough to make another with the first as a template (I believe they are for sale as well).
If you go this route, a couple things to keep in mind (the cons If you will). 1) Additional heat is directed out the “other half” so keep in mind that addition space will be needed there. 2) You will loose a little BTU potential if you ever try to crank it way up due to flames starting to lift sooner than without additional shielding (chockes airflow). It doesn’t affect it at all under what I would consider normal operation.

Attachments

• BB1A5709-66DE-46A7-A8A7-86EF8230BB93.jpeg
    BB1A5709-66DE-46A7-A8A7-86EF8230BB93.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 44C8EE2F-DC24-4C51-96C9-1E8BB49F9363.jpeg
    44C8EE2F-DC24-4C51-96C9-1E8BB49F9363.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 9A34D0A5-EB93-47B6-8854-09D70C721EC6.jpeg
    9A34D0A5-EB93-47B6-8854-09D70C721EC6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
The OP is running the original bg14 Blichmann burners so I doubt lift-off would ever compare to the Hellfire (which at the upper power range will lift off even in an ideal location)...

Cheers!

Yep, the current burner is 5-6 years old. The new burner will be the hellfire.

Cool setup, 501. It looks like you cut holes in a SS countertop to accommodate dropping main body in, and then chopped the legs to sit on top. Is that right?

Latest posts

Back