How far is your commute? (one way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew I dont feel so bad anymore. 26 miles each way. About 30 min one way, sometimes an hour in the evening with beltway traffic. But I work 12 hour shifts so I only commute 3-4 days a week, and I drive a hybrid which gets like 40-45 mpg, so I am not hurting on gas.

0.0 miles. I work from home most days.
When I do go into the office though, its a grueling 40 miles into Northern VA

0 its a grueling 40 miles into Northern VA

I travel thru NoVA a lot for work, it is the pits. And it going to get worse before it gets better. They are widing the beltway from I-95 to the Dulles Toll Road, every bridge over I-495 has to be lengthened to accomodate the the additional of the HOT Lanes, HOT = High Occupancy Toll). :(

My commute is 7 miles each way for a 14 mile round trip.

Via Bicycle.

^^I used to commute via bike, about the same 8 mi. ea. way, but, the current trip of 56 mile is not conducive.

Hour in the morn, 1.25 in the afternoon. But somehow the afternoon trip goes faster??

new job is 4.5 miles each way. I love the short commute, previous job was about 35 miles and was about 45 minutes on a good day, during one snow storm it took me 2.5 hours to get home.

72 miles one way everyday. All highway which is good, but I go through 3 tanks of gas in a week. We might move closer though come July.

Back in NH it was 5 miles one way which was great.

3 blocks to the restaurant from the condo. Convenient and inexpensive.
The only way it could be better is to have a killer Beer store in between.

Of course, I would go to work there as soon as there was an opening, further shortening my commute :)

38 Miles 2/3 highway and the other local roads I actually bought a small beater car just so I could keep the gas at 1 tank a week.

With my truck I was filling up twice a week and at $80 a tank it wasn't pretty.

Depending on route 30 miles freeway, 26 miles surface street highway, or 13 miles if I bike (have to drive half way to get to safe roads).

My worst commute ever was 92 miles one way when I lived in Cali.

I drive 28 miles one way. In the morning, it takes exactly sixty minutes. In the afternoon, it can take from sixty minutes to seventy-five, unless there's a wreck on the 270.

I see where this method of getting to work is suggested when gas prices are high, etc. but I have to ask. Doesn't that work up a sweat and can that cause you smell a bit, especially toward the end of an 8 hour work day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am still curious about this. How can you ride a bike 8 miles to work and not be all sweaty and stinky by the end of the day. Only thing I can think of you are in such good shape 8 miles is like walking from the parking lot to your desk.[/QUOTE]

I see even more people stating they ride a bike some distance to work and I am still very curious about this. Anyone want to comment?

I am still curious about this. How can you ride a bike 8 miles to work and not be all sweaty and stinky by the end of the day. Only thing I can think of you are in such good shape 8 miles is like walking from the parking lot to your desk.

I see even more people stating they ride a bike some distance to work and I am still very curious about this. Anyone want to comment?[/QUOTE]

I use to commute by bike everyday when I did auto body it really didn't matter what I smelled or looked like there.

Currently with my office job I try to get here early and sponge bath as best I can in the bathroom. I wish I worked at an office with a looker room it would be much nicer to just have some clothes here and jump in the shower after the commute.

I see where this method of getting to work is suggested when gas prices are high, etc. but I have to ask. Doesn't that work up a sweat and can that cause you smell a bit, especially toward the end of an 8 hour work day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am still curious about this. How can you ride a bike 8 miles to work and not be all sweaty and stinky by the end of the day. Only thing I can think of you are in such good shape 8 miles is like walking from the parking lot to your desk.

I see even more people stating they ride a bike some distance to work and I am still very curious about this. Anyone want to comment?

An 8 mile bike ride can work up a decent sweat unless you take it easy and the weather is cool. That is why I bring a change of clothes and wash up in the restroom before starting the day. Even better if there are showers available in the building or in a nearby rec center.

A good 8 mile ride is better than a cup of coffee to get you awake and ready for the day. Then in the evenings I find that riding usually helps to reduce the stress while driving is more stressful than the job.

The main reason I ride is that I enjoy it. Saving on gas, keeping fit and helping the environment are also benefits, but the enjoyment of the ride and the challenge of weather, traffic and yourself is what really motivates me to ride.

Craig

I am 15.5 mi from work. All rural roads. It's a bit too far to ride a bike and the roads are narrow. I can get about 54mpg on my route with my gay little Prius.

~15 miles each way. I'd love to ride a bike to work, but it's a little far and it's highway the whole time. I've thought about a moped. I can get there on back roads all but the last 2 miles, I'd have to jump on the highway. Takes about 20 minutes ech way. Still beats the 45 minutes each way when I first started here and before we bought our house. SWMBO has a 6 minute driver. She could get there on a bike going the long way, but would have to get up earlier therefore not gonna happen.

1 mile each way (0.99 mi from my door to the bike rack), usually ride my bike, sometimes drive if I know I am going out to lunch. Oh, and Boulder Beer is only 50 yds from work...

I am 15.5 mi from work. All rural roads. It's a bit too far to ride a bike and the roads are narrow. I can get about 54mpg on my route with my gay little Prius.

That sounds like a nice bicycle commute 2 or 3 days a week. Thats only about an hour commute which is shorter than many others on here drive.

Before I moved to Cleveland and started commuting by bike every day I used to ride 22 miles each way a couple days a week in good weather. I knew a few other guys that rode even further most days.

Give it a try you may find it a really nice way to get out and get some exercise.

Craig

Latest posts

Back