How does this recipe look for a APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMaster

Reaction score
Hey I am looking for feed back on this recipe. I last brewed a mexican cervaza, and it turned out terrible. i don't think it had anything to do with my brewing process, but more to do with a bad recipe. It was something I saw online and decided to try it. Well now I am not in the mood to make a bad beer. I haven't made this beer before, I did a lot of research to come up with it. It is one of my favourite pale ales. It is a Canadian brewing company on the west coast. Let me know if anything looks off.

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 7.26.06 PM.png

You're not showing us the mash profile, but it looks like it's going to make a tasty hop-forward pale ale . Personally, I think you could afford to add a little more of the caramel 20 (something I would do) but that's just me .
Cheers,

It looks pretty good. I'm not a big fan of caramel malts because they seem to be too detectable to my palate personally, but you've got a pretty low % in there, so you should probably be good.

I notice you've got no hops at 60 minutes. I haven't personally experimented with a 45 minute hop addition, so not sure how that compares. I do know that when I experimented with no 60 minute hop addition and my first addition was at 30 minutes, the lack of any bitterness bite made for a very odd tasting beer to me. Maybe the 45 minutes will get you there with a bit of a bite, but not too strong. If it was me personally, I would shift some portion up to 60 minutes. Maybe play games in BeerSmith to get 1/2 of the IBU at 60 minutes, 1/2 at 45, by adjusting the oz. Overall it looks like it will be nice and hoppy, I'd just be worried that it would miss a bit of that bite and then taste out of balance for such a hoppy beer.

Latest posts

Back