How does this crush look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkfish

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm going to be trying out my first non-BIAB all grain brew tomorrow - does this crush look OK or do you think it needs more/less mangling?

Edit - better pic below

DSC_2807smn.jpg

Thanks!

I think it needs to be a bit finer, still see lots of whole kernels.

Cheers and good luck with the brew!

See two different opinions in two replies.

I think it needs to be a bit finer, still see lots of whole kernels.

I see kernels that are still in one piece, but it looks like they're crushed. The angle of the picture, while aesthetically pleasing - isn't the best angle to evaluate a crush.

I see kernels that are still in one piece, but it looks like they're crushed. The angle of the picture, while aesthetically pleasing - isn't the best angle to evaluate a crush.

Yeah not quite enough depth of field to really see all of it.

If you noticed any uncrushed kernals- crush finer,i crush a little finer than this but it looks like a solid crush unless some of those kernals are not crushed.

okay, based on the new pic I think you should crush finer. I'm not sure I can make out any that are uncrushed, but there are quite a few that are still whole but look like they were cracked. You could easily crush finer without sparging issues.

Note the "only slight" difference in yield (and efficiency)
between a Coarse/Normal and Coarse/Fine Grinds (basically
just make sure you have very no/few whole kernals):

From the Briess website (whole Kernal vs Pilot Mill vs
Lab Mill)

Picture1.jpg

Thanks guys for all the feedback - I gave it another run through the mill and just wrapped up the brewday. Much appreciated.

Back