How does everyone store their Specialty Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I currently have them in zip lock bags loosely on a shelf. I think I'm going to get a few small air tight containers and keep them in that. Stacking zip lock bags suck. Feel free to post some pics of your grain storage as well.

Ziploc bags for smaller quantities, 5 gal buckets with Gamma lids for larger amounts. I have one bucket w/Gamma that I use to store all the Ziploc bags of grain.

Same here
actually I don't even bother with the ziplocks. I just fold up the bags they came in an close with a piece of blue painter tape. I have one 5 gallon bucket with gamma lid for roasted specialty grains and another for light colored specialty grains.

Partial amounts stay in the bags they came in. Fold over and hold with masking tape. All those opened bags go into a vittles vault.

I get all grains at my lhbs (unmilled) in various size ziplock bags.
Those go in a 50g tight-lidded rolling trash bin for critter defense...

Cheers!

I use buckets. You can get them for $1 (with lid) from the bakery section at WalMart.
Ask for the large buckets. They have the same lids that comes with primary pails, the ones with the gaskets.

They come with frosting in them so you know they're food grade. I generally put some Oxi in them, fill with hot water and let them sit for 3 days to get the vanilla and sugar odor out of them.

Each one holds 19# of bulk grain. I have at least 12 of them...and they stack.

Here's another tip...While they're drying and during storage lay them on their sides (no lids on) until any lingering odors remain. For some reason, if you stand them up the smell stays in them longer.

I use Rubbermaid containers (not the disposable kind) for keeping 1-5 lbs of specialty grain. I wait until the cereal keeps go on sale for half price and pick them up for around $5. They're good for holding about 5 lbs each. For 10+ lbs I use the 15 lb Vittle Vaults for storage.

Same here. No issues with weevils.

If you store in a warm location, you'll eventually have weevils. They come with the grain, so it doesn't matter what kind of container you use. If your container is airtight, at least it will keep them in there and they won't find your kitchen pantry (where they will become a problem).

Freezing kills them, so if you ever see any just put grain in freezer for a couple of days. I suggest briefly freezing all grain you bring home if you intend on keeping indoors.

This is how I used to store mine. It was awesome when I was working my way through all the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles. Now, I mostly make a small subset of those styles, so I condensed this down to a few white Lowe's buckets with Gamma lids.

full

I get all grains at my lhbs (unmilled) in various size ziplock bags.
Those go in a 50g tight-lidded rolling trash bin for critter defense...

Cheers!

How much grain will fit in the quart or gallon sized ziploc bag? I am picking up 8 types of grain this week 1 lb to 3 lb and wanted to know what size bags to bring.

Sorry I know this is an older thread but I could not find an answer

I have two vittles vaults, the 50lb size, one holds my base malt, the other holds new and partially used bags of specialty grains. I got them on chewy.com, when they go onsale you can get them for $17/ea with free shipping.

In ziploc bags all held in a large plastic container. The bags help keep the grains separate and the plastic container keeps out unwanted consumers.

I used to keep specialty grains on hand but we now have a top notch LHBS not far away and while I will have a couple 50# sacks of base malt on hand I now get my specialty grains on an as needed basis.

I keep mine wrapped in the 1kg (2lb) sized mylar bags my LHBS sells them in and just store them in a cabinet in my basement brew room. It's cool and dark and they keep well.

My largest batches are 5 gallons
20190112_193123.jpg
, so just about everything goes through food saver vacuum sealer, then in a large plastic tote.

This is how I used to store mine. It was awesome when I was working my way through all the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles. Now, I mostly make a small subset of those styles, so I condensed this down to a few white Lowe's buckets with Gamma lids.

These are awesome how many lbs could you fit in each of the 3 sizes? What brand were those?

These are awesome how many lbs could you fit in each of the 3 sizes? What brand were those?

If you have a Target around you, they will have an extensive assortment of Sterilite. You'll see them.

The sizes there are 6 qt, 15 qt, and 66 qt. 1 qt = 1# of barley. I just bit the bullet one day and bought all the bins and all the grain. Had it that way for 6 or 7 years.

I got about a dozen of those white 2 gal buckets from Home Depot, they seal well and keep in the freshness. For more commonly used speciality grains they get their own bucket, for seldom or lightly used ones I'll leave em in the ziploc bag and store 3 or 4 in a bucket together.

If you store in a warm location, you'll eventually have weevils. They come with the grain, so it doesn't matter what kind of container you use. If your container is airtight, at least it will keep them in there and they won't find your kitchen pantry (where they will become a problem).

Freezing kills them, so if you ever see any just put grain in freezer for a couple of days. I suggest briefly freezing all grain you bring home if you intend on keeping indoors.

Mmm, mmm, weevils. After gusano-in-the-mezcal, some bottles of weevil-in-the-beer? ;)

Back