How do you stop excessive water in fermentation fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I have a small dorm style fridge with a freezer.....I added insulation to make it big enough to ferment in...However, with the temp controller set at 65, it will run, get to the set temp, and then when it shuts off, whatever has frozen on the coils melts and collects in the bottom of the fridge, and leaks thru the insulation....

is there any way to fix this?

anyone else having the same problem?

Chad

It's probably unavoidable. The active ferment will be exhaling CO2 and along with it some water vapor. Additionally, even a small air leak can allow moist air to enter the chamber. The moisture will condense on the evaporator coils just as you described. Damp Rid will probably help minimize the problem, but I don't think it will eliminate it entirely. You might be able to rig up a drip tray under the condenser to catch the condensate, but you would need to empty the tray fairly often, perhaps daily. The problem will likely be more acute in the warm humid months and much less so in the cool dry season. I would do whatever I could to make sure the chamber is as air tight as possible and the first place to check would be the door gasket.

Do you have a small fan to move the air around inside the chamber? One might help by trigging the cutoff before any water can freeze on the coils. That would eliminate the defrost issue.

I will have to make the chamber all over again...it was a last minute project so I could ferment my Stone Ruination clone.........I have a fan, so Iwill try adding that also when I redo it....

Where do you buy the desiccant at?

Back