how do you save money... and what's your per bottle price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just need to get a 50 lb bag of 2row, locally, and call it a day. :mug:

That's what I have been doing lately, either 2-row or pale ale malt. Much cheaper without the shipping.

For specialty grains, I will either pick them up locally or order them from Ritebrew, depending on what I need and how much.

Ive started buying grains by the sack from my local brewery. No shipping required and I get wholesale prices. They like me since I bring them all of the new brews to try

I didn't think any place on the interwebs includes bulk sacks of grain with the free shipping. I haven't seen any place yet anyway.

My two local places are about $65 bucks or higher for a sack of grain, not such a great deal. I can find it online for 35ish but then shipping takes it up to around 70.

PLEASE let me know if any online orders have free shipping for 50lbs bag of grain!

I don't know of anywhere. I'll grant I am relatively close to the Morebeer Pennsylvania warehouse (just 1 state, maybe 200 miles away), so that may figure prominently in to my shipping rates. But they seem to be around $36 a bag for the cheaper base malts and their shipping is about $15 per 50lb bag.

That said, my LHBS for 2-row Briess pale malt is, IIRC, $51 also, but since I am a brew club member, I get a 10% discount. So it is $45 after the discount (yay no food tax!). Making it actually cheaper to buy from the local guys, which I love.

Some of the other "by the sack" prices vary on who is better. For Marris Otter, my LHBS is a lot better, I think Morebeer is about $50 for a sack, plus the shipping, and my LHBS is about $58, then the 10% discount on top.

Though I can't get 5 or 10# quantities from my LHBS without pay per pound prices and Morebeer DOES have decent discounts on 5 and 10# bags (generally around a 20-30% discount respectively). Also they have free shipping on orders over $69, including 5 and 10# bags, but NOT 50/55# bags (sadly).

So I tend to get all of my medium and high use specialty malts from Morebeer, because the discount is sooo much over the LHBS. So my crystals, roasted barley, etc. I get from Morebeer. I might pay around $1.35-1.80 a pound in the end that way, where as LHBS would be $2.10-2.70 per pound. I get the uncommonly used specialty malts from my LHBS, because I know I might use half a pound or a pound of something in one recipe and then I am not going to use the stuff again for a year, or two or three. Ignore the fact that I bought like 10lbs if medium use specialty grains. I was on a big budget and just bought a 50lb bag of 2-row as well as about $100 of malts and hops from Morebeer a couple of weeks before that.

However, I did get 1lb of honey malt and .75lbs of smoked malt. I use both in recipes the once and then I am not likely to use them again for a long time.

Eventually I'll get a 5lb bag of Special B, Victory, Biscuit, etc. Just didn't need to because I got a pound or pound and a half, because I know I'll use them in a recipe soonish (within 2-4 months), but it might be 6-8 months before I use them again. In a few months when I have the spare change I'll put in another $100 order and get a bunch of 5# bags of things like Victory, Crystal 20L, Special B, Aromatic, etc., along with some more hops in bulk. That'll pretty much fill in my brew pantry with the exception of rarely used specialty malts and a couple more bags of base (I need to get 50lb bags of Vienna and Munich before the fall and my Oktoberfest brewing as well as winter/spring time German Dunkle and bock brewing).

Save money? My wife asked me how much money I thought I was saving by brewing and wine making. None. It is impossible to "save" money and spend money at the same time.

This is a hobby for me. Like all my hobbies it costs money...cars did, motorcycles did, sailboats did, archery did, shooting sports did, they all do. I think the better question is how much fun are you having for your bucks? I am having fun! I bought all my gear from folks who weren't having any more fun and sold out. But...I am still spending money...spending is not saving.

Save money? My wife asked me how much money I thought I was saving by brewing and wine making. None. It is impossible to "save" money and spend money at the same time.

This is a hobby for me. Like all my hobbies it costs money...cars did, motorcycles did, sailboats did, archery did, shooting sports did, they all do. I think the better question is how much fun are you having for your bucks? I am having fun! I bought all my gear from folks who weren't having any more fun and sold out. But...I am still spending money...spending is not saving.

Errr, okay. It is quite possible to spend money to save money.

Buy 5lbs of frozen chicken in bulk at $25 is saving money instead of buying it a single pound at a time, at $8 a pound. That is spending money to save money.

Buying LED light bulbs is spending money, but if it costs $2 per year less to run each bulb, that is spending money to save money.

I brew at between $.35-.50 per bottle typically, that is a lot less than a typical $1.50 per bottle price I'd pay for vaguely similar beer.

That is saving money. Yeah, I occasionally buy gear, but it either allows me to do things like crush my grains, so I can buy in bulk (massively pushing costs down), culture yeast, so it is easier to reuse yeast, pushing my costs down, or saving me time and/or improving the quality of my beer, which or more intangibles, but you could argue you can convert time to money (at some exchange rate) and better quality beer, you can argue means you are comparing your baseline price against more expensive beer.

I don't disagree, if you are enjoying it, you can afford it, that is all that matters. However, some of us, it is important to also be saving money. I couldn't do this hobby if it was costing me more than just buying the beer from the store. I am not poor, but I certainly would have a hard time budgeting MORE for brewing my own than buying it at the store. I can donate some free time, as I enjoy the heck out of the hobby, but I couldn't (at this point in my life) donate money to it as a hobby.

Most of my hobbies have some kind of payback, even if they aren't necessarily ALL net gain. My computer hobby, well, I'd at least argue for some of the stuff that I'd want no matter what, it would be a lot more expensive than having put everything together and maintained it myself. As well as making my family's life easier. My photography hobby, well, probably haven't spent more on gear than would have been spent on setting up a couple of pro photographer photoshoots every year for really nice family pictures (and I don't mean go to the mall kind of photos. I mean the kind you are probably spending $200-300 for). On top of the less tangibles of having great family photos at events, better documentation of things like family trips, birthday's, etc. That said, photography is a less tangible "saving money" hobby of mine.

Brewing, certainly a cost savings there. Automobile hobby? Well, I can't promise everything has saved money there, but a number of things I've done have increase fuel mileage of my car more than the price invested. A few things not. But, hey, the work I've done on my car is minor. In recompense, I am awesome mechanically, in part from enjoying working on cars and doing minor modifications. I haven't paid for an oil change in 10 years or any other car repair (okay, minor lie, 8 years ago I did take my wife's subie to get the timing belt replaced, as I just didn't have the time to invest to do it myself). That has probably saved me $4,000-5,000 over the years based on what I know the shop cost would have been for some of the work. That is a heck of lot more than I've sunk in modifications in to my car (maybe $1,000? Probably not quite that much).

My construction/home renovation hobby is dearly expensive, but you know what, if I didn't know how to do it, a lot of the stuff we would have paid a contractor to do. I HAVE been keeping a rough tally of costs as well as projected project costs if we had hired a contractor. I think at this point I am up to around $100,000 in savings over the years.

I garden as a hobby, but considering my garden's yield, we have probably come close to saving what we have invested in capitol expenses the last couple of years since we moved in to our current house. It'll certainly break even within another year or two despite some more work we want to do.

I want to get in to hunting this fall, but it is for the savings. 80lbs of deer meat is whatever cost of the license and equipment, as well as paying a processor. Ignoring the equipment, that is a LOT cheaper than buying 80lbs of beef, goat, etc. Just a couple of successful hunts/deer pays for entry level gear costs (Pricing out what I need, about $300 of equipment to start recurve bow hunting). Then it is just my time, which if I am enjoying it, that is enough. Oh, it is certainly possible if I enjoy it enough I'll likely spend more on gear that has intangible returns, but it is damned unlikely I'll ever go nuts on gear and so long as I don't turn out to be a crappy hunter, probably still getting more out of it than whatever I am investing in costs.

I honestly can't think of much in the way of my hobbies that does not save myself/my family money in the end. Photography and/or computers is MAYBE the closest I can think of that has a very fuzzy ROI. I'd almost say backpacking, but that is a lot cheaper than paying for a hotel room, stuff to do, etc. for a similar vacation. But, sure, backpacking might be my one hobby where there is effectively zero return on investment.

Everything else, there is arguably a net positive ROI for my hobby.

But, it is perfectly fine if your hobbies do nothing but bring you enjoyment. I personally want to meld my hobbies with saving myself and my family money. A lot of times, that means I can afford to do MORE of the hobby, or pick up another one that'll save us money, or just use the saved money on something else (like a vacation for our family. Or a new couch that we need. Or saving for my kid's college).

I call bull**** on anybody claiming they've saved money with this hobby.

Once you factor in the equipment costs (which you never stop buying), and how much homebrew you give away - it's a losing game.

Once you factor in the equipment costs (which you never stop buying), and how much homebrew you give away - it's a losing game.

Who gives homebrew away? You're doing it wrong.

You're all doing it wrong.

Agreed.

I do it for love, not money,

Home brew is a cruel mistress.

I give away a ton it's seems, but it's still all new to me, eventually I'll get out of the "look what I made" stage

MATH TIME!

I scraped together the bare neccessities to go all grain, 5 gallon batch. I will upgrade eventually, to better bags and bigger kettles. Here we go, in the order I aquired them:

(1)1 gallon starter kit from Northern Brewer - Christmas present - $0
(4) 5 gallon water bottle fermenters from the corner of my warehouse - $0
(1) 2 pack of 5 gallon paint strainer bags - $3.00
(1) 2 pack of 1 gallon paint strainer bags - $2.00
(1) hydrometer and test tube - $15.00
(1) bottling bucket and spigot - $15.00
(1) 9.5 gallon aluminum pot, that my father in law doesn't use, and doesn't plan on using - $0
(1) standard auto siphon (the gallon kit's siphon is 12 inches long) - $15.00
(2) 10' lengths of vinyl tubing - $8.00
(1) Academy Sports turkey fryer burner - $30.00

88 bucks in equipment.

That's it. That's my brew setup. There are odds and ends that I use, namely a couple of 5 gallon buckets and some rubbermaid totes, that I could replace for $20 total should the need arise.

I ran my first three or four batches buying grain as I went. Those got pricey, but the still only tabbed out at $30, max. Lets say $130-ish, for 8 cases of beer. Accounting for trub loss and inexperience, we'll call that 350 bottles. That's 37 cents a bottle, for what ended up being some really great IPA's, APA's, and one second runnings mishap that I drank instead of a light beer here and there. I also gave away at least 2 cases out of those first 8. I like it when people enjoy the fruits of my labor. So, I paid 43 cents a bottle.

let's roll my equipment costs into this now. $220 total, disregarding anything I've brewed since the next card somes into play. Let's say I've consumed 300 of the beers I've made.

$220/300 = 0.73. I paid 73 cents per bottle equipment and all. That's PBR cheap.

Now, I'm bulk buying and holding my beer a little closer to the vest, and I think I tabbed my last 2 batches out at .25 per. That's mostly tied up in hops.

I can love to brew (oh man I love brewing), love to drink it (Umm...see the drinking thread), love to share it (ehhh...not until people start sharing with me) and save money.

Less friends = more beer. Therefore, being an ******* to everyone will save money on beer.

Yeah, I'm not in the 'give beer away' set. If you come over, I'll offer. A lot of my friends have hobbies and skills that I don't, so some arrangements get made. But as far as "Please, take this beer off my hands!" Flocc that.

I brought some in to work one time and shared with everybody. Then I started getting the "When are you going to bring me more beer?" My answer was "Well, when are you going to bring me something to trade?"

Yeah, I'm not in the 'give beer away' set. If you come over, I'll offer. A lot of my friends have hobbies and skills that I don't, so some arrangements get made. But as far as "Please, take this beer off my hands!" Flocc that.

I brought some in to work one time and shared with everybody. Then I started getting the "When are you going to bring me more beer?" My answer was "Well, when are you going to bring me something to trade?"

I tapped a keg of MO/Amarillo SMaSH for a party we had and it kicked 2 days later... friends drank about 3/4 of the thing and brought all the beer that they had brought to my house to drink originally home with them.

I decided that was the last time I'll ever do that.

This. I may have some cigars coming my way though. Told him to bring me the bottom of his ($10 a stick) barrell. He's thinking on it. My real close friend has been pulling together a box for me, and he won't tell me what's in it. Another got one bottle of my award winner and set aside a Two Hearted for me.

Other than that "Good job bro" doesn't offset time or ingredients very much at all.

Just kicked 2 kegs at the daughters grad party (1 root beer and 1 a nut brown) and when asked about root beer, I told them it was $75 for 5 gallons and I would pour for three hours or until it was gone, which ever comes first.

3 people want me to make root beer for them now! What does a keg of root beer cost anyway? It cost about $16 for me to make and serve ours.

I've got a friend that really loves my Baltic Porter. He rants and raves about it to the point that people I meet for the first time are like "You're the homebrewer? I have to try your beer!" I agreed to make a batch for him because he goes to Colorado a lot and I thought he'd reciprocate with some beers I can't get around here. Needless to say, he took the beer I made and brought me a sixer of Dale's Pale Ale. It really put a wall up between us. My wife thinks I'm childish, but come on. He knows how he wounded me.

I've got a friend that really loves my Baltic Porter. He rants and raves about it to the point that people I meet for the first time are like "You're the homebrewer? I have to try your beer!" I agreed to make a batch for him because he goes to Colorado a lot and I thought he'd reciprocate with some beers I can't get around here. Needless to say, he took the beer I made and brought me a sixer of Dale's Pale Ale. It really put a wall up between us. My wife thinks I'm childish, but come on. He knows how he wounded me.

Well, if you told him all about how cheap it is to brew and how you can make beer for 15 cents a bottle, he figured that it was a fair trade since Dale's Pale Ale costs a hell of a lot more than that!

The only people who get samples from me are family, and our direct neighbour.
The family are great and always ready to help with many things anyway.
My neighbour is practically the ideal sub-letter and also managed to get me into the company he works at, so he's pretty much set for a few tasters per batch for life :D

Well if you do all grain BIAB, bulk order high AA hops, use dry yeast and live in a country where good beer costs $5-9 a bottle then hell yeah you can save money.

Also have a lot of clients over to dinner and having homemade beer to go with the homemade food impresses them in a way that even the best commercial beer wouldn`t and makes me money indirectly that way.

Well if you do all grain BIAB, bulk order high AA hops, use dry yeast and live in a country where good beer costs $5-9 a bottle then hell yeah you can save money.

Also have a lot of clients over to dinner and having homemade beer to go with the homemade food impresses them in a way that even the best commercial beer wouldn`t and makes me money indirectly that way.

Harrumph in monetizing your hobby. Haaarrrruuuummmph.

It's the prunes.

My wife's grandfather bottled Dr Pepper for years. He beat it into my skull that while it has a boatload of flavors (23 if I remember correctly), prune isn't actually one of them. Just a myth. Sorry for correcting you but he also beat it into my skull to help fix the myth :)

My wife's grandfather bottled Dr Pepper for years. He beat it into my skull that while it has a boatload of flavors (23 if I remember correctly), prune isn't actually one of them. Just a myth. Sorry for correcting you but he also beat it into my skull to help fix the myth :)

you must be from Texas. where every soda/pop is called a Coke, except for Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper, unlike 7-Up, is not a Coke.

I spent the time to read every post and the first thing I thought was a $4 ryzome (sp) will end up yielding ~2lbs a year. You can't get cheaper hops than that. Even cheaper wold b to harvest a ryzome from someone in your brew club.

I found some hops growing wild in my area. I think they are cluster hops but I'm not really sure. After picking/drying I use these as the bittering addition in some of my batches and the beer turns out pretty good. This drops my price per batch (for certain batches) by a couple of bucks if you don't count time and labour of picking/drying (I don't since this is a hobby). I've considered transplanting a rhizome to my backyard but haven't done it yet.

A few months ago whilst standing in my shower waiting for the hot water, I wondered how much cold shower water i was flushing down the drain every time i took a shower. Turns out to be ~6 liters, every shower, twice a day from just waiting for the hot water to arrive!

Now I start collecting cold shower water in a large bucket a week before brew day. Not sure if it saves me much money (I guess i also don't need to pre-boil the water now to get rid of the chlorine) but I certainly feel less wasteful.

Sure you can save money. That is part of the hobby for me; trying to make excellent beers a lower costs than buying it.

- Buy hops in bulk
- Buy grain in bulk
- Re-use yeast

I'm pretty anal about keeping records of costs. Over the past 5 years I have keep a record off the majority of my costs and total bottles.

Overall costs including all equipment and everything I have bought to make beer, including a couple of hundred lbs of grain and 20 lbs of hops I still have to use, averages out to 49 cents a bottle.

My current cost per bottle for ingredients is 28 cents a bottle (including caps, sanitizer, Fermcap, etc).

My average OG is 1.059, and I average 4.5 ozs of hops for a 5 gallon batch.

The only items not included in my costs are:

- Electricity (I use my stove)
- Water (I use tap water)
- Labor

While i do try to save money by buying in bulk when i can im way past making cheap beer after building my own 5 tap kegerator and now building a 3 vessel EHerms ...ill have to brew for 20 years buying no new toys to break even.

Sure you can save money. That is part of the hobby for me; trying to make excellent beers a lower costs than buying it.

- Buy hops in bulk
- Buy grain in bulk
- Re-use yeast

I'm pretty anal about keeping records of costs. Over the past 5 years I have keep a record off the majority of my costs and total bottles.

Overall costs including all equipment and everything I have bought to make beer, including a couple of hundred lbs of grain and 20 lbs of hops I still have to use, averages out to 49 cents a bottle.

My current cost per bottle for ingredients is 28 cents a bottle (including caps, sanitizer, Fermcap, etc).

My average OG is 1.059, and I average 4.5 ozs of hops for a 5 gallon batch.

The only items not included in my costs are:

- Electricity (I use my stove)
- Water (I use tap water)
- Labor

Did you keep records on how much of it you drank yourself and how much you gave away? Or would you say that you give away home brew at the same rate that you would shell out to your friends/family/neighbors commercial beer?

I drink most of it myself or with my gf, maybe 2 bottles out of a batch goes to friends.

If Friends want me to provide drinks for a party or something, they buy the food and we work it out...

I've been doing hop stands for my finishing hops. I think this is very cost effective, and I like the results a lot. For hop flavor and aroma, I normally only use an ounce of hops.

Another savings is using dry yeast instead of liquid (still more expensive than harvesting of course). This won't work if you're brewing something that needs a strain not available in dry form. And some brewers don't believe the quality is as good, but I'm sold on it.

You didn't read my long post then.

The TL;DR variety is, I have spent somewhere in the area of $400-500 in equipment. Maybe another $200 of equipment gifted to me. Over the last 2 years I've also probably spent maybe $1,000 in ingredients.

Even with higher costs early in brewing, I probably would have spend $1,200 on the LOW end on beer over the same time period, probably more like $1,500 or so. So roughly break even, but I have produced easily twice the volume of beer I would have for the same cost. My current running cost is easily 1/4-1/3rd the per bottle cost now.

Even with what I have given away, plus increased my own consumption, I am at worst break even.

Since I don't plan on buying any equipment for the foreseeable future, other than making a heatstick, that might cost me a total of $70, and save it's price in propane costs in a couple of years...I am easily saving several hundred a year at this point with all of my equipment capitol costs paid off.

Ignoring price per bottle, I am producing only twice what I would have been buying anyway, but the cost is roughly 1/3rd or even a little less than what it would have been.

I mean, heck, I am probably spending around $200 a year on grain and $100 a year on hops and herbs/ingredients. Maybe $30 on propane and $30 on other disposables (sanitizers, DME, etc.). That is maybe rounding up $400 a year now that I have moved to reusing yeast and buying grain and hops in bulk.

A SLOW year might have been $600 a year buying beer. Other bonus is, my wife IS drinking less wine now, even if it is only a little less. Probably saving $100 a year on beer (because I'll admit to maybe spending $100 on beer still, as I do go to the liquor store maybe ever 2-3 months and buy a few 6-packs) and probably saving $100-200 on wine because my wife is buying less of it as I am making beer to her taste sometimes.

So, my actual costs truly are less, even when you account for the fact that I am giving away so much of it and also drinking more of it myself.

More beer enjoyment + spending less than I had been = awesome times.

Easily possible if you don't either go crazy or do it "wrong". But hey, if you are enjoying it, doing it "wrong" isn't really wrong.

My wife gives my beer away to her friends sometimes, but I tend to discourage that. However, since I entertain a lot, I "give away a lot". You come to my place and I will PLY you with beer. I don't like giving it to people, in large part because I tend not to get my bottles back (my neighbor is cool though, he will rinse the bottles and give them back, so I give him a sixer every once in awhile).

My wife and I probably consume a very rough 66% of what we make however. The rest is friends/family visit consumption. My math comes to something like 50 bottles between my wife and myself in an average month, maybe 25 bottles on friends and family in a typical month. However, considering parties and holidays, the average might be a bit closer to 60 for us and 35 for others once you include a lot of those events.

I do about 10 a week, her about 5 a week. When we entertain neighbors or friends will often hit up a six pack and that is often once a week. Holidays can easily be a case if not more (was just at my in-laws for 2 nights and went through almost an entire case).

While i do try to save money by buying in bulk when i can im way past making cheap beer after building my own 5 tap kegerator and now building a 3 vessel EHerms ...ill have to brew for 20 years buying no new toys to break even.

This is half the reason I am holding off on doing anything like that. My BiaB setup gets good efficiency, is pretty fast and makes damn good beer in the volumes I generally require and is fun.

Someday I'll probably invest in an eherms system or something like that. Heck, if I keep up the hobby in to my twilight years, I'll NEED to automate a lot of stuff, especially the wort and liquor movement. Then again, in 30 years, I probably won't care or need to worry too much if I am dropping a grand or two on a fun hobby.

Besides, without some SERIOUS work, I doubt I could make brewing cheaper than I am now, other than moving more towards electric than propane, or what I am planning on, hybrid. Already buying grain and hops in bulk and reusing yeast. About the only what I could go cheaper is finding ways to get the bulk orders cheaper or doing mashes for pre-made starter wort (which I might do, because I kind of want to try doing some pre-made starters and canning them). So almost any new equipment wouldn't really increase my efficiency/save money, as it is, my brewhouse efficiency is in the mid 80% range for 1.055OG beers.

Did you keep records on how much of it you drank yourself and how much you gave away? Or would you say that you give away home brew at the same rate that you would shell out to your friends/family/neighbors commercial beer?

A kegerator is a kegerator. When beer freely flows, people will fill up their cups. I was buying commercial kegs before I started homebrewing, and they disappeared just as quickly if not quicker.

If anything, I think people now leave more cans and bottles at my house. They bring them just in case, then enjoy the homebrew, and then leave their 6 packs in my fridge.

Since this isn't a business where I need to make a profit the cost o the equipment, which I could regain a portion of the cost from if need be, my equipment doesn't figure in, nor does the $2 for electricity or $0.50 in tap water. No one would even notice this on the monthly utility bills.

This is mostly about doing something that I enjoy, but it certainly costs less than buying it. I figure I'm spending Budweiser prices for craft beers. And I'm good with that.

Back