How do you know what beer style to brew with captured yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
I'm about to try my hand at capturing some wild yeast and brewing with it.

My question is how do you decide what style of beer to brew with the yeast that is captured....do you just taste some of the wort used for capturing and then decide??

Cheers,
Jim

You could just taste the starter wort and decide.

When I captured yeast from a peach, I just brewed a small batch of 70%/30% pale/wheat, hopped to about 10 IBUs, since that gives a pretty blank slate for the yeast flavor to come through.

My yeast ended up tasting pretty bland. Like a Kolsch, but a little bit phenolic, although I had a very low-level lacto infection too.

olllllo....It's not every day that you can quote Yakov. As a side note I see your Moscow Mule link. Just picked me up a set of 6 copper Smirnoff Mule mugs from some old timer off craigslist. I posted in the wanted and he contacted me. $40 for the whole set....a lovely addition to my bar indeed. Asked him how he got them and he told me, "Son you'll never meet someone who's drank more Mule's then me." Which I thought was cool til he put out his hand and I noticed his tremors....hmmmm, gotta look up copper poisoning symptoms.

Cheers

You can brew something neutral like a blond or a generic wheat beer. You want to be able to taste the yeast profile without it getting it lost in specialty grains or hops.

Back