How do you control your Fermentation Temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Right now I use a fridge w/ a temp controller-- but that'll only control a single temperature point for up to two carboys. I want to expand my brewing a bit more...but I'm trying to figure out if buying another new fridge/freezer and temperature controller is really the most effective way to go. What do ya'll use & recommend?

I use an Igloo cooler (with a self-made styrofoam lid to accommodate the airlock) that I fill with ice, frozen water bottles, etc as needed to reach my target temperature. It doesn't work too well for lagering (takes too much ice to be economical), but for getting fermentation temps into the 60s, it's perfect.

I live in a loft, with very little space or storage, so no extra fridge setup for me...I have to go ghetto...

I use one of these that holds 2 fermenters, and a few inches of water.

2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

I have an aquarium thermometer on the side of it to check the temp of the water. I cover each of the carboys/buckets with a t-short to wick up the water. Adding a fan to blow air on them will cool them further.

I filled a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles and some small water bottles with water and froze them...I change them out every couple days. I can get the ambient temp of the thermometers on the bucket down to the low 60's which means that the heat of fermentation is only a few degrees higher.

It works fine for me.

Someone today came up with the idea of stacking one of those within the other with insulation, to create a large thermos like space...I guess I could also buy a third and create a hinged lid for it....hmmm

Hope that my air conditioner keeps the temperature constant. Oh, and my primaries/secondaries all sit on the concrete floor in my shop when full, so it keeps them cool.

there are tuns of options. A chest freezer on temp control works killer and you can get several carboys in them, depending on the size you buy. Look on craigslist for your area, I got mine for 100 bones and I use it for conditioning.
JJ

Hi,
I wrap mine with towels and run a fan on them - it cuts the temp by about 10 degrees which great for ales if you ferment in the house.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi,
I wrap mine with towels and run a fan on them - it cuts the temp by about 10 degrees which great for ales if you ferment in the house.

Cheers,
Brad

+1 thats what Im doing for now. Hopefully Ill find a nice freezer I can convert for a fermentation closet soon

i bought a freezer on craigs list for 60 bucks. And a JC temp control for 60. I love it. Makes things soooooo easy.

Son of Fermentation chiller for me. I made it larger to hold 2 primaries and it works amazingly well. I change out a single 4L ice bottle once a day and maintain 2 primaries at 65F.

For ales, I have a cold room in the basement that is rock solid at 60 F. I put my carboy fermenters in rectangular rubbermaid containers filled with water that is heated by an aquarium heater. Those aquarium heaters are REALLY precise, and hold the water bath temps at an exact temperature, which therefore also keeps your fermenting beer at a precise temp. Works great.

For lagers, fridge and a Ranco temp controller.

Latest posts

Back