how do you brew your coffee, what's your routine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your routine?

• Load preground into an automatic the night before

• grind fresh for an automatic in the A.M.

• grind fresh for a manual brew in the A.M.

• buy @ a coffee shop

Results are only viewable after voting.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get your morning joe?

Do you use preground or do you grind fresh?

Do you have an automatic brewer or do you do you make your coffee manually?

I grind home roasted coffee by weight then add temperature controlled water by weight.

I heat up my water with a Bonavita digital kettle:
http://bonavitaworld.com/products/10l-digital-variable-temperature-gooseneck-kettle

Grind the coffee with a Baratza Vario-W. It has a scale and you tell it how many grams you want. I brew 7-8 grams of coffee for every 5oz of water:
http://www.baratza.com/flat-burr-grinders/vario-w-grinder/

I brew it all in a Bodum Columbia 34oz, double wall, stainless steel press pot:
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1308-16/

2dv53k8.jpg

I pour an 11oz mug for myself and fill her 12oz hydroflask for when she wakes up later.

It depends... During the week I grind fresh by feel/sight and put it in my coffee maker and it brews me a travel mug of varying size. The weekends are another story; I grind fresh by feel/sight, heat water in a kettle on the stove and add to my french press. No hard measurements or temperature controls; I just kinda wing it; haven't dissapointed myself yet, but I've got plenty of time for that yet. Home roasting is next for me, but I'll probably handle it the same way I handle cooking and home brewing, by feel/sight

I grind fresh and make a cup with my Aeropress (almost) every morning. I use roughly 1.5 scoops using the scoop that came with the press ground almost as fine as espresso. Put grounds in the bottom of the press, pour hot water over grounds, stir, top up with hot water, then place the plunger on top just enough to seal. Then I'll let it sit for about 2 minutes and press it through. I'll never go back to drip at home after using the Aeropress.

I make an americano using an Aeropress.

I fill a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup from my RO system. I measure out 20 grams of whole bean and grind it for coarse espresso. When that goes into the press, I grind 20 more grams.

Once the water is hot, I pour about half into a 20 ounce mug. Then, about 2- 3 ounces goes into the press. I stir and then express out the coffee into the hot water. Then, I clean the press, and put in the other 20 grams of coffee, and repeat the process. Then I add the rest of the hot water to the cup and add cream and sugar.
images

While the carbon filtered water is heating I weigh and grind the beans. The weight in grams divided by 55 tells me how much water to use in liters. 26/55 = 472mL for instance.

I preheat the French press and the Thermos. I add the water right off the boil, it comes out to 95C (203F) in the press. After a minute I stir it with a wooden spoon. Wait two more minutes, then pour it through a well rinsed paper filter into the Thermos.

I usually don't grind my own, self-grind the whole bag at the store when I buy it, keep it in the freezer, and use in french press when I want it. I usually go 2 Tbsp per cup water, bloom at 1 Tbsp per cup that's just shy of boiling for a minute, stir, then add the rest of the water, steep until 4 mins total and then press the plunger and pour. Far from a coffee connoisseur, but it makes better coffee than I can buy easily/conveniently.

K-cup... I just try to get something dark roast extra-bold if possible for about 40 cents a cup. Lately in the summer heat, I have been brewing a small k-cup into a large cup of ice and splenda. It melts just enough ice to make a decent sized iced-coffee and nice alternative for a hot morning.

David

I was given a neat wee espresso machine which is pretty well automated, just need to tamp myself.

then at work I use a plunger/french press

I grind home roasted coffee by weight then add temperature controlled water by weight.

I heat up my water with a Bonavita digital kettle:
http://bonavitaworld.com/products/10l-digital-variable-temperature-gooseneck-kettle

Grind the coffee with a Baratza Vario-W. It has a scale and you tell it how many grams you want. I brew 7-8 grams of coffee for every 5oz of water:
http://www.baratza.com/flat-burr-grinders/vario-w-grinder/

I brew it all in a Bodum Columbia 34oz, double wall, stainless steel press pot:
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1308-16/

That's a sweet setup, though I'm balking at a $500 grinder (can't spend more than I did on my Monster Mill)!

That's a sweet setup, though I'm balking at a $500 grinder (can't spend more than I did on my Monster Mill)!

I hear ya bro. It's a tough pill to swallow.

For press pot or other coffee (besides espresso) baratza makes a couple less expensive. I used to have their Virtuoso (I thought it had a better grind than the vario) and it was totally awesome for press. Their Preciso is the next step up and I hear it's fantastic as well.

Baratza makes a scale attachment called the esatto you can add on to those grinders I mentioned.

Filtered water goes though the automatic once to preheat to around 170F, Recycle it brings it to 200F, burr grind my coffee of choice.
Weekends I use a vacuum pot offend enough.

K-cup... I just try to get something dark roast extra-bold if possible for about 40 cents a cup. Lately in the summer heat, I have been brewing a small k-cup into a large cup of ice and splenda. It melts just enough ice to make a decent sized iced-coffee and nice alternative for a hot morning.

David

They make iced coffee k-cups. They're basically just stronger, so it doesn't taste so watered down. Early afternoon coffee...

Grinder: At home I use a Baratza Encore grinder; when I travel I use some blade grinder which isn't too bad.

Brewers:
-For coffee at home, I use a Chemex for Kenyans, Guats, Ethiopians, Panama, and the like.
-I'll use the french press for Brazilians, Columbians, Sumatran, and anything which has big body really.
-At work I have a Melita pour over which gets the job done okay.
-I have a drip machine at home, I believe it's a Hamilton Beach 12 cup, which sits in the closet unless we have a lot of company over. I'll usually make Nicaraguan or Brazilian beans in there as it seems to show those off the best.

Kettle: We have a Krups water heater we got for our wedding some time ago, and it works great at getting water to temp and insulating it throughout the 4 min pour over process.

I grind Italian roast beans in a little $15 grinder, and use the 'pour-over' method. I use those brown filters and water from a Britta pitcher. While I'm grinding the beans, my gas stove is boiling the water. Pour-over coffee is definitely the best I have had.
I have a regular Mr. Coffee, which is actually the second best method (and for larger amounts.)
I have a French Press (too much sediment).
I use the little VietNamese silver coffee filters that sit over the top of your cup (good for Ice Coffees).
I have an espresso machine (in the closet), too much work and cleaning.
I use the Keurig K-cup (I use the fill-it-yourself with ground in re-usable pods), or pop in a decaf pod in the evening.
I have the crappy machine at work that brews a unique drink that barely resembles coffee.

I brew with a couple different pour over methods (v60, chemex, ect...). I weigh my coffee and water in grams. I brew 16 parts coffee to 1 part coffee, usually 300g/18g. Water to around 200f and keep the pour low in the filter. I'm lucky to have a couple good roasters in town. I love the ritual of it and could never be satisfied with an automatic machine.

When the weather is hot, as it often is here, I usually drink cold brewed coffee. Coffee is steeped for ~24 hours in the fridge in a large French press. The coffee is pressed in the morning and passed through a reusable filter into a serving pitcher. The French press is cleaned and loaded with coffee and water for the next day and placed in the fridge. I also brew with #2 size pour over, aeropress, and regular French press when desired. I roast at home about every 4 days with a Behmor roaster. Batches are 1/2 lb, rested for 1-3 days, and then ground as needed with a doserless flat burr grinder. I drink mostly Ethiopian coffees (occasionally I buy some Sumatran or Java).

Grind beans with a conical burr grinder right before brewing in a drip coffee maker with a thermal carafe-- during a power outage I am equipt to grind beans in a "person powered" mill and perk on the gas range. Must always have a way to enjoy a cup of coffee!

I use a La Cimbali grinder and a La Spaziale S1 espresso machine. I hacked into the control board and wired it up to come on automatically in the morning since it needs at least 15 minutes warm up time. Whenever I stroll downstairs it's hot and ready to pull shots. I use it every single day.

I roasted my own beans for a lot of years, but I'm now buying from a local roaster that has great beans at a fair price that it's just not worth my time to roast any more.

LaSpaziale_and_Cimbali.jpg

I kick kids out the way to get to the bunn. Add whatever flavor of preground coffee on hand and then steal the soul from the pot, wife yells at me if I get caught. Pretty much the routine unless the kids arn't awake, then omit the kid kicking

Back