How do we prevent foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
When racking from the brewpot into the primary, we filtered through one of those big paint bags from Home Depot. It caused a ton of foam inside the carboy, to the point where it was just spilling out the top where the funnel was.

How do we prevent this for our next brew?

It dried up on the inside walls of the carboy so I can't see inside at all. Kind of annoying. thanks

Filter through a mesh strainer? I had no foam issues when I did that

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We used the metal mesh screen before the bag, but since we used pellets the particles were too small and going right through the metal strainer. The hop bag was awesome and did a great job at filtering out a ton of crap. Also, I forgot that the foam is good thing.
However, we definitely lost beer. Should we rack slower next time? Or would pouring directly from the brew pot make less foam?
It was a mess and a waste of beer.

We used the metal mesh screen before the bag, but since we used pellets the particles were too small and going right through the metal strainer. The hop bag was awesome and did a great job at filtering out a ton of crap. Also, I forgot that the foam is good thing.
However, we definitely lost beer. Should we rack slower next time? Or would pouring directly from the brew pot make less foam?
It was a mess and a waste of beer.

The more foam at that point, the better. It's important for yeast health. Maybe you just need a bigger fermenter? I can't see how that can lose beer because the foam goes done in just an hour or so, and if you have blow off during fermentation that's another issue.

Back