How do I reduce trub with my setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletmoore

Reaction score
I saw a similar post here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/what-leave-kettle-460497/
where the question was "how long do I leave my wort in the kettle before transferring to fermenter?" Trub settles out fairly quickly when you're using a chiller inside the kettle.

My question is, how might I be able to reduce trub, before sending my wort through my ferminator on the way to the primary fermenter? If I leave it in the boil kettle too long (and I have a 20 gal kettle), waiting for the trub to cool and settle, I run the risk of chill haze and contamination. The only 2 options I see is to run it through the ferminator to a fermenting bottle, let it settle out and then rack to another fermenter.
Or, I could just not worry about it.....

Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

I have noticed that skimming the hot break at the beginning of the boil cuts down on the trub.

Manual whirlpool and dip tube? What's your setup or does it say? I'm using the app and I didn't see what your setup was.

I skim the hot break, not sure of it's benefits but I do it, and I do a quick whirlpool before transferring to the fermenter so that most of the trub is concentrated in the center of the kettle and away from my dip tube which draws from the side of the kettle.

I saw a similar post here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/what-leave-kettle-460497/
where the question was "how long do I leave my wort in the kettle before transferring to fermenter?" Trub settles out fairly quickly when you're using a chiller inside the kettle.

My question is, how might I be able to reduce trub, before sending my wort through my ferminator on the way to the primary fermenter? If I leave it in the boil kettle too long (and I have a 20 gal kettle), waiting for the trub to cool and settle, I run the risk of chill haze and contamination. The only 2 options I see is to run it through the ferminator to a fermenting bottle, let it settle out and then rack to another fermenter.

Thanks

why do you want to do this?

Thanks

Son, I'm an old fart who's been brewing beer since Papazian was expounding the virtues of his Zap Pap. That don't mean much I know, but I can tell you this for a fact, If you want to leave trub behind, dump the whole lot into a carboy overnight. Next day transfer to a fresh carboy and pitch. Been doing this since I was as young as you. It solves a lot of future headaches. There will be some that say blah blah and more blah. That's cause they don't know better. Cheers. and good brewing...

Son, I'm an old fart who's been brewing beer since Papazian was expounding the virtues of his Zap Pap. That don't mean much I know, but I can tell you this for a fact, If you want to leave trub behind, dump the whole lot into a carboy overnight. Next day transfer to a fresh carboy and pitch. Been doing this since I was as young as you. It solves a lot of future headaches. There will be some that say blah blah and more blah. That's cause they don't know better. Cheers. and good brewing...

Preach it! :beer:

The best hot and cold break processes are worthless when the break materials are transfered into the ferment. Skim it off when it forms. Then do what Sudzy mentions. It is a good idea to aerate wort if it rests for eight hours before transfer. I use conicals and dump the trub before tossing in the yeast. Some will say trub is good for yeast. If the brewing process is good. Yeast need little sustanance from trub. During Siebels two week crash course. The brewmaster talks about trub and yeast. He said, 10% of what is in trub is beneficial to yeast. It is outweighed by the 90%, not beneficial. The guy compared yeast to a kid in a candy shop, that has 90% candy and 10% vitamins on the shelves. Yeast, like a kid will go for the 90% and leave the 10% for last. A very small percentage of amino acids and protein beneficial to yeast are in trub. The term amino acid is very broad. Yeast will easily absorb amino acid subunit proteins that are not beneficial for fermentation or the conditioning phase, producing off flavors in the final product. When wort is produce from a poor brewing process. Yeast will expend nutrients quickly. When nutrients are depleted, yeast will utilize trub for basic survival.... A brewer declaring benefits from trub, might use poor brewing processes, poor yeast, and have tastebuds that are created by the ugly baby syndrome. Or, off flavors are masked by loads of hops and alcohol.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try skimming my next batch, seems like that's a preferred method overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I chill my wort until it settles out in my BK. I then transfer to my fermenter using a 1/2 round strainer with 3 paint strainer/filters one on top of the other, aerating as it drips in . It doesn't stop everything, and a little "silt" that gets through, is of no consequence really, because cold crashing will pack a hard layer on the bottom of the fermenter when the time comes to bottle and next to no trub in the bottles.
I still brew the old fashioned way; A Zap pap made from my 2 plastic buckets to become a lauter/sparge tun, a pot40 qt aluminum just recently an I WISH MY POT WAS EVEN BIGGER NOW

Back