how do i operate this PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
i have no idea if my new system even works... can someone explain in plain english how to use this 2352 pid?

these directions are confusing as heck!

There should be a link to the PDF on the auber site. Last time I checked it was in English.

There should be a link to the PDF on the auber site. Last time I checked it was in English.

yea thanks smart ass, like i said im reading them, and im still confused. sorry we cant all me as smart as you :D,lol
:mug:

I don't have the directions in front of me, but you want to do this on a water only run. To try and learn as you brew is a nightmare.

Basically follow the directions to auto tune your PID. Let it run for a while- a while being 20-30 minutes. Afterwards tune it up or down and it should work. There are a lot of options you can do, but that is how I started. Still learning- and when my heating element doesn't blow- my system works just fine.

As much as Kal's website and P-J's diagrams are seemingly taking some of the voodoo out of this stuff, industrial controls is one of those career specialties that takes years to get good at, and that's after an electronics/electrical degree program.

Sorry, that really wasn't helpful, but it's something that struck me.

CidahMastah helped me out with this. I was confused as well. Here's a link to his build thread where he describes in detail how to set up your PID. #307 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-burners-any-builders-out-there-228720/index31.html

that link was actually a lot of help. i think i got the autotune to run... it ran forever.. i actually had to shut it off because my water level was getting too low.. how long is the autotune supposed to last for? im assuming ill need to run it again the whole way through.. i set the temp to 160 but it went past that straight to a boil.. that seem correct? its set to deg F

I don't think mine got anywhere near boil, especially if yours boiled for awhile. Did your PID output turn on and off, or was it on forever? If it was turning on and off yet kept heating your SSR might be wired up wrong or dead.

Try it again.

My auto tune took along time too. I did the same, I power cycled and tried again. The second time it took less than 15 minutes. One thing is you should have your normal volume while auto tuning. Are you using a RIMS/HERMS?

My auto tune took along time too. I did the same, I power cycled and tried again. The second time it took less than 15 minutes. One thing is you should have your normal volume while auto tuning. Are you using a RIMS/HERMS?

herms... eventually. i dont have anything atm. just a element with an rtd in a keggle

Mine was running high- like 5-6 degrees. I would set it to 152 and it run past 152 stopping at 158-157. Auto tune fixed the problem. I have a RIMS system.

ok i think i have the autotune running correctly now. its still taking a while. it keeps cycling the element on and off and showing a bunch of diff numbers.

mine didn't really work well until I autotuned it with a batch of beer. Water and wort have different characteristics, enough so that the PID worked better then.

mine didn't really work well until I autotuned it with a batch of beer. Water and wort have different characteristics, enough so that the PID worked better then.

yea, after this auto tune attempt i think im just gonna attempt a 5 gal batch and see how it goes

I believe you can set up the auto tune function using lower temp settings the pid just needs to figure out the amount of time it takes to ramp up temp. Try using your starting water temp 50ish and setting the pid to 80 and run the auto tune.

ok i think i have the autotune running correctly now. its still taking a while. it keeps cycling the element on and off and showing a bunch of diff numbers.

If it's showing a bunch of different numbers then you probably have it in the second view mode where it's showing the percentage of on time for the cycle.

I just built my RIMS, I've used it about four times. My autotune has never turned off- I've ran it about 30 minutes- I get bored after that and turn it off. When I turn it off, it's worked fine.

CidahMastah helped me out with this. I was confused as well. Here's a link to his build thread where he describes in detail how to set up your PID. #307 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-burners-any-builders-out-there-228720/index31.html

Thanks for the props goocher :mug:

Glad it helped the OP out too

All - if the autotune keeps flashing then it didn't take/complete. As per the directions on my build thread, I would do an autotune with your full volume and start the autotune ASAP at teh beginning. For me that would be 25G in the HLT @ 54F, hit Autotune and set it to 164F or whatever. Once the temp hits 164F it should turn to pass the temp, shut off let it cool to below the temp. Then turn back on to get to 164F; might do this 2-3 times before it finishing and the PID stops flashing.

Back