How do I know...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt100

Reaction score
Alright I made my first brew on Saturday morning; EDME Devishly Red Ale and at 24 hours it was bubbling like crazy. It is now 48 hours out and I'm getting 1 bubble every 3 to 4 seconds. Temperature is 68 F. Does this sound ok? I only sprinkled the yeast on top and mixed it in. I didn't make a starter. How do I know whether it has stalled or is fermenting like normal? The smell out of the bubbler was yeasty the first day and more beer-like today. Just a newbie asking the more experienced masses here. Let me know if you need more info. Oh, I took a OG and it seemed a littel low prior to adding the yeast it was 1.033. I hate screwing up! :cool:
Thanks,
Pitt

Sounds good to me...still fermenting, as well. If it were stalled you wouldn't be getting any bubbles. That OG is a bit low...do you have a recipe? How much top-off water did you add, and did you stir it in before taking a gravity reading?

I followed the recipe from my HBS for this one and it said to use 5 3/4 of water. Most everything I read up to brewing said to top off to 5 gallons, so I was over the mark in the end. My wife made me follow the directions instead of doing what I wanted to do! Women! I thought that might have thrown off my OG but wanted to know what everyone else thought. What does it mean for the end result, lower alcohol %? taste and color will be weaker? Not sure? Let me know and thanks. Will let you know how it turns out.
Pitt

It would mean a bit lower abv, perhaps dilute the flavors slightly, but really no big deal. However, like I said above, if you didn't stir the whole kit and kaboodle after topping off you got a lower gravity reading than what you actually have because you would have had dense wort on the bottom of the fermenter with mostly water (sg 1.000) on top.

It will be fine. I always go a little over five gallons. Your yield will be lower from leaving behind trub as you siphon.

I would not worry excessively about gravity readings. If you have only a primary fermenter, let it sit there two weeks and go right to bottle. If you have a secondary, rack it after a week. Either way, you will be fine.

Oh - one more thing - no need to stir in your yeast. If you use dry, just sprinkle it on the top of the fermenter and it will do its thing just fine.

Latest posts

Back