How do i keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charley

Reaction score
Have two kegs left over from parties MANY YEARS AGO. If I wanted to keg, can I get these cleaned somewhere (they still have some old yucky beer in them)? And if so how do I do it? I'm sure you'll tell me to start from scratch and by a new keg. That's fine but what's the cost for a keg and the equipment needed to keg. I don't have anything to support a keg at this point. What are the basics that I'd need?

1) You'll need a pump that can deliver enough pressure to fill it.
2) You'll need a keg coupler with no check valves.
3) Rinse it with plain water till it runs clear.
4) Fill it with a PBW solution, and let it rest overnight.
5) Repeat step 3, x3
6) Partially fill it with a solution of StarSan, shake well, push this out with C02
7) Fill with your primed beer and fit with a keg coupler with both ports blocked, sanitized copper pennies work well.
You need the keg coupler's pressure relief valve to avoid catastrophic life changing events - or - carb using C02 under refrigeration (takes about as long, but eats up your C02 supply)
I love Sanke kegs :)

If I knew how to spell the sound my mouth makes when I shake my head back and forth then I'd insert here. That sounds like I need somebody to show me how in person. #veryoverwhelmedinhomebrewing

5) Repeat step 3, x3
6) Partially fill it with a solution of StarSan, shake well, push this out with C02
7) Fill with your primed beer and fit with a keg coupler with both ports blocked, sanitized copper pennies work well.
You need the keg coupler's pressure relief valve to avoid catastrophic life changing events - or - carb using C02 under refrigeration (takes about as long, but eats up your C02 supply)

That's a lot of work compared to corney kegging.

5) Repeat step 3, x3

I think you're making this more complicated then it needs to be. No access to Youtube here at work, but just search for something along the lines of "sanke keg disassembly." You can pull the spear out relatively easily (make sure you've vented any excess pressure first), and at that point, it's just like cleaning a carboy. Then just sanitize, fill with beer, replace the spear, force carb, and you're drinkin' drafts.

As for what you need to run beer out of the keg, you'll want the following:
1. Old fridge or freezer with temp controller
2. The appropriate coupler (a.k.a. tap)
3. A CO2 bottle and regulator
4. A faucet and shank or a picnic tap
5. Beer and gas lines and hose clamps.

Search for "keg" on craigslist, and, most likely, someone's selling all of this for cheap. Or if you want to go new, I've bought from these guys before and liked their prices and service:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Commercial+Kegerator+Kits

Back