How do i get the driest beer possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
What are my options if i want to make a really dry brew without using brett, lacto, pedio etc.?
(inspired by Orval and german lagers and pilsners)
I think my FG should be as low as possible using base malts only and low mash temps.
It should have highish bitterness and high carbonation i guess. Probably high sulfate/chloride ratio.
Should i try champagne yeast?
Can it really dry out a beer with 1.060ish OG?

Use entirely base malt, eschew extract, mash low (145° - 148° F), use a highly-attenuating yeast, add some 100% fermentable sugar like dextrose, allow the temperature to increase as fermentation begins tapering off.

I routinely get my 1.075 IPAs to attenuate all the way down to 1.008 or even lower.

Use entirely base malt, eschew extract, mash low (145° - 148° F), use a highly-attenuating yeast, add some 100% fermentable sugar like dextrose, allow the temperature to increase as fermentation begins tapering off.

I routinely get my 1.075 IPAs to attenuate all the way down to 1.008 or even lower.

That FG sounds good!

What can be the highest attenuating dry yeast?

If that doesn't do it, try some amylase. You probably won't need it, but if you do try it, it will dry any beer out like a week in the Sahara.

Unfortunately, it will probably also kill any body the beer might have had... think of a 'light' beer with the alcoholic strength of a barleywine and you'll get the idea. I'm guessing that that is not what you want.

using 3711 and 3lbs of honey in my saison i got it below 1 it its og was 1.080 something, close to 10% abv

Orval uses Brett, does it not?

Back to your quesiton, Saison yeast will ferment really low, but I'm guessing you don't want a Saison. Or Belgian yeast with 1.5 lbs of sugar.

I think normal ale yeast could ferment a 1.06 ish beer down to 1.010 easy. I've done it twice using Bells yeast in a 2 Hearted clone (mashed at 153 and 154). If I mashed lower, I'm sure it could have hit 1.007 or 1.008. Pitch plenty of yeast and add some yeast nutrient for good measure.

Orval uses Brett, does it not?

Back to your quesiton, Saison yeast will ferment really low, but I'm guessing you don't want a Saison. Or Belgian yeast with 1.5 lbs of sugar.

I think normal ale yeast could ferment a 1.06 ish beer down to 1.010 easy. I've done it twice using Bells yeast in a 2 Hearted clone (mashed at 153 and 154). If I mashed lower, I'm sure it could have hit 1.007 or 1.008. Pitch plenty of yeast and add some yeast nutrient for good measure.

Yeah it was inspired by the dryness of Orval, (and euro lagers) not the process.
I think 1.007-8 sounds good, do you think i can hit it with something like US05, S04 or Notty?

Yeah I think a 1.06x to 1.007 or 8 is possible. My Red Rye IPA used S-05 mashed at 155 and hit 1.012. I intentionally wanted it higher to balance the spicy, dry sorta taste of the 2lb of rye.

Keep your grain bill to mostly highly fermentable base malt, maybe a splash of crystal or munich. Go with S-05, mash at 148F for 75 minutes. Pitch a good sized starter and slowly, slow-ly ramp up the temp so you are in the 67-69F range near the end of ferment to keep your yeasties munching (this may throw a few esters). Start out in the low 60's.

I've hit 1.009 with a partial mash PA at 6% ABV and US05. It hit I believe about 1.003 with a Golden Strong Ale half batch (all grain), mostly just Pilsner malt, sugar, and a 145 mash temp. That was a dry yeast, but I forget which one.

As said above, Pilsner or 2-row, a mash temp 145-148, and a little sugar will take it down real nice.

Find the highest attenuating dry yeast you can. I use Wyeast, so I can't help you there. Like others said, mash low, but a thinner mash will also help. I'd even do a quick 15min rest at 130F, the step up to 146-148F range for 60+min. Keep you grain bill very simple using Pils malt and maybe just a touch of crystal for color, but no more than 5%. If you really want it dry add sugar. Start fermenting cool around 60-64F. After 3-4 days slowly start raising the temp about 2 degrees per day.

I made a Belgian Tripel which turned into a Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

OG 1.095
FG 1.008
ABV 11.4%

80% Pils malt
15% cane sugar
5% aromatic

Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale

Mash rest at 130F for 15min
Infusion to 148F for 60min

I got 92% attenuation.

Excellent advice to the OP. See you've been around the block. Cheers!

Back