How do i get my beer darker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Ive tried making belgian dubbels/quads with pilsner malt,dark candisyrup and different specialty malts such as , abbey malt, special b, aromatic malts etc and the only time i got it as dark as i wanted to was when i added some chocolate malt. I dont really like the flavor it adds, it fits better in stouts imo. Is there another way to get a darker color without inpact on flavour. Read a recipe with something called belgian debittered black but cannot find it at my lhbs...

The most common debittered black malts sold are Weyermann's special carafa malts. Look for carafa special II or III (make sure it's the special, regular carafa is not debittered). You could also use midnight wheat or blackprinz from Briess for a similar effect. You won't need much. How dark is the candi syrup you are using?

Brewers' caramel has a negligible impact on flavour and is commonly used to darken beer

Ps: I use Belgian caramel

The most common debittered black malts sold are Weyermann's special carafa malts. Look for carafa special II or III (make sure it's the special, regular carafa is not debittered). You could also use midnight wheat or blackprinz from Briess for a similar effect. You won't need much. How dark is the candi syrup you are using?

I use this http://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pro...andy-syrup-liquid-dark-7-kg?gaCategory=search

If i use 15% of that and the rest pilsner malt i get an amber beer. I want it darker, like a st bernardus abt 12 or a weak english stout(guinness)...

my lhbs has carafa special, ill call them and ask about that!

Do a cold steep with 0.5lb of carafa special III in a nylon hop bag. Pass it through a coffee filter then add it at the end of the mash during the volauf until you get the colour you want. Doing this adds less flavour than mashing or even hot steeping the dark grains

Back