How do I get more Dimethylvinyl Carbinol in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
Basically I'd like to brew a nightcap beer, something that will work as a sleeping aid. I'd like to be able to extract the maximum amount of this substance into my brew without making it "suck your lips down your stomach bitter."

Has anyone seen a study of varying amounts of this substance between different varieties of hops? I have a feeling it's directly tied to A.A. but I haven't found anything so specific yet.

From "herbs2000.com"
The presence of a volatile alcoholic compound, known as 2-methyl-3-butene-2-ol (dimethylvinyl carbinol), has recently been isolated from the hops - this compound is believed to form some part of the plant's sedative properties - though requiring further studies. Fresh hops has very little of the alcohol and only small amounts can be detected in any single fruit, however the concentration of this alcohol seems to increase when the hops is subjected to drying and this volume reaches a maximum value within a two-year period at about 0.15 percent of the total volume - thus the sedative action of the hops may not be superstition at all.

I guess that means you need to age some hops and do a lambic. Or just brew a high ABV barleywine or IIPA. Drinking two of those would have the intended effect no matter how you slice it.

high gravity, lots of hops, lots of aging. got it.

Alcohol actually doesn't tend to make me sleepy so I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly my homebrew knocked me out.

I'd really like to capitalize on this. :mug:

Back