How do I fix this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
We were testing the 50 gal pot and burner before the big brew and I'm glad I did. It was about 20 degrees out last night when we were heating some water to see how long it would take to boil. I adjusted the regulator to a good sized flame and went inside for a beer. (A watched pot never boils) I can came out about 15 mins. later and the flame was way down and I couldn't adjust it any higher. It would flame up if I shook the tank of LP but then go down again right away. I think what happened was the tank started to freeze. It was a new tank so I doubt the tank was the problem. I never had a problem with a tank freezing up on a gas grill even at cold temps. The only thing I can come up with is that the burner is more powerful and using more fuel is whats freezing the tank up. What we have is a bayou burner 10" 210,000 btu with a 30 regulator. Any advise is welcome about a solution. I'll probably just have to brew in the garage with the door and window cracked. Let me know if I'm right about why its freezing up. Thanks in advance!:mug:
100_3175.JPG

100_3174.JPG

100_3173.JPG

Sorry about where I posted this. I thought I was in brewing equipment

I know this is going to sound a little dangerous, but I'd try to get the tank a little closer to the burner and put something up as a wind shield around the tank and burner. Of course, keep the gas hose from getting hot any way you can but if you can keep the tank a bit warmer, you'll be good to go.

I always see guys that use propane getting the tank as far from the burner as possible and going as far as to pull the hose super tight. What's the fear? Tank leaks?

For sure! Anytime you run a lot of propane out of a cold tank, you will lose pressure. See liquid propane relies on it's boiling point being way lower than the ambient. Now, when you are already in cold temps, and releasing mass amounts of gas, the liquid has a hard time boiling rapidly enough to keep producing gas, hence, low output pressure. Now, add this to the fact that now the regulator is incredibly cooled, everything expanding, potentially increasing resistance w/ moving parts, ice in the regulator, and the gas being cooled on it's way to the burner, and it's evident why many people have problems running LP gas in cold temps.
Now, that said, many people use LP all winter long to heat there homes. It is unlikely they are running 210k btu at a time, and 100lb(bigger) tanks are less prone to 'freeze up'...

Edit, BTW, I love the gas tank sitting directly under the burner!

when i brew in winter i have this problem. to solve it i dump the spent grains into a trashbag and place it under the tank. the heat from the grains keeps the tank from freezing for the 90 min i'm using the tank

ok the real cause is( although most of these guys are correct) that gas LP does not evaporate as readilly at cold temps. the colder the temp= less evap..when you open that tank what you are doing is allowing condensed liquid to readily evaporate under less pressure than is in the tank. The spent grain idea is a wonderfull idea...of just leave the closed tank inside to warm up till you are ready to mash/boil or get a real long hose to keep the tank inside and the burner outside....also a good idea..fill a garbage can with normal room temp water. drop your tank into it and it will hold your tank a room temp for long enough for you to mash/boil

When it is cold like that you need an insulated foil blanket on the boiler exterior and a heated enclosed container for the propane. Keep the propane in a 70 F area prior to use. If it is already cold it will not let the gas out of the liquid propane because of this which was stated earlier in this thread. You will save propane when you pot has an insulated blanket.

Back