How do I clean this mess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Remnants of a JAOM. How do you get the fruit out of a 1 gallon jug?

21353292012_679013143b_z.jpg

Good question, those are some big chunks of fruit.

You'll just have to find a way of breaking it into smaller pieces, i think.

Not sure but what if you filled your carboy with water? Might the fruit float to the surface? If the fruit does not float to the top then I would turn the carboy upside down and use chopsticks to ease the fruit out.

If you are not in a rush, you could let it dehydrate, thus making the bits smaller.

Have you ever seen the video for how to remove the cork from inside a wine bottle? Had to do with a plastic bag and inflating it.... Also might be here on HBT.

Plastic bag in, tip it upside down and pull out the bag. The fruit comes with it.

There is a guy who applied the same technique to a low-cost device to deliver babies.

article-2507802-19702FDB00000578-895_634x403.jpg

Can't say I've tried that but it works like a champ for getting things out of carboys.

Fruit no problem, I've even used it to get a rubber stopper out that I'd inadvertently shoved inside.

Here's how its done

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ[/ame]

Plastic bag in, tip it upside down and pull out the bag. The fruit comes with it.

There is a guy who applied the same technique to a low-cost device to deliver babies.

article-2507802-19702FDB00000578-895_634x403.jpg

Can't say I've tried that but it works like a champ for getting things out of carboys.

Fruit no problem, I've even used it to get a rubber stopper out that I'd inadvertently shoved inside.

Here's how its done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ

Had I known children came pre clothed I might have had some:p

I thought about this before I made a batch and cut the orange in thin slices, I hope it helps but I think I can figure it out in the long run:mug:

Very cool, I'll try that next time. I ended up using needle nose pliers to grab the orange pieces and that worked.

Pour half a pound of kosher salt down there. Shake. Wait. Shake dessicated pieces out.

I just use a water hose with a trigger sprayer. Turn the carbouy upsidedown & spray the jet into it, the fruit falls down to the neck & either comes out on it's own, or is in position for you to grab with fingers/tongs/pliers/etc...
Regards, GF.

Isn't a plastic spring water jug recommended/required for JAOM? Don't mess with tradition yo ;)

And do you really need an excuse to buy a $12 gallon of wine? :mug:

Latest posts

Back