How do figure out what final Gravity should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
OK I brewed an amber ale ( Fat Tire clone). It was fermenting for three weeks then stopped (no air lock activity). I stuck a recent pale ale brew in the same freezer adn raised the temp by just two degrees for the pale ale adn the amber started fermenting again (air lock activity started). It's now been 5 weeks that the amber ale has been fermenting adn I still got air lock activity. I took a sample to see what gravity it's at. It's in the fridge cooling to 60 degrees. How do you figure from Original gravity what final gravity shold be? Let me know if you need more info and I will provide it. :)

Try the free calculators (BrewMate) or the free trials of Brewsmith or Pro Mash. Depends on your OG, yeast, mash temp etc. Air lock activity or lack thereof has little to do with where the beer is really at. Don't worry so much about numbers, how it tastes is more important.

I have brew smith but my OG came out different then what Brew smith said the OG should be thats my problem. My OG was 1.054 brew smith said it should be 1.059. BUt my batch size was 12 gal instead of the input number of 10 gal.

Current Gravity is 1.016. Is it done?

Could be.

That's not extreme attenuation, but if it's not going down anymore...

You need to make sure the gravity is stable. I would measure it again in a day or two.

If you want to try to pull a few more points out of it, you could try bumping the temp a couple more degrees and rousing the yeast.

Back