How did it all start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THESULLI

Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about why we decided to get into brewing our own beer. Specially considering all of the work/time/money that goes into it.

For me, there was a few reasons. I have always been a fan of beer. Even when I was young, I enjoyed taking an occasional sip from my dad's beer while we were on the back patio grilling up our dinner. When I got older, I never really drank beer to get drunk. Although that is a pleasant side effect of beer, that was never it's true function as far as I was concerned. I enjoy it for it's taste first and foremost. The getting drunk part is just a bonus haha!

The second reason would probably be the ability to create something of my own. This is probably the same reason I have a garden every year. The idea of sitting down and enjoying the fruits of my own labor make the experience 100x better in my opinion.

The most important reason being the experience that beer can create. Every beer is there to help create its own experience. Whether you just got home after a hard day at work, or going to an awesome party with all of your friends, or you are toasting a friend who made it back safe and sound from their deployment overseas... The beer helps make the experience and the experience make the beer memorable. A perfect example of this is my brothers bachelor party. I was drinking a Heineken. Not a very good beer in my personal opinion... But I did not care a single bit. I was toasting to my brother and his marriage to his beautiful new bride!

This all might sounds lame to you (I have been drinking...) But beer is more than just a beverage. My guess is that you already know that fact. Otherwise you would not be on this forum.

Sooo... I am interested in learning your story. How you came to enjoy and experience beer in your own way. What prompted you to make your own? How has that added to your experience? Do you think you could ever go back to not making it yourself? Share your experience!

I got into home brewing because the brewer who produced my favorite beer of all time decided, in a fit of intransigence, to change the recipe.

The brewery had a new head brewer who decided to take a hit and convert it to something....less.

So--I was motivated to learn how to brew so I could clone the beer and get back what they took from me. :)

Of course, I didn't stop there. Not by a long shot...

Last edited:
I got into home brewing because the brewer who produced my favorite beer of all time decide, in a fit of instransigence, to change the recipe.

The brewery had a new head brewer who decided to take a hit and convert it to something....less.

So--I was motivated to learn how to brew so I could clone the beer and get back what they took from me. :)

What was the beer?

Also enjoyed beer from the beginning. When my college friends were getting cases of Busch Lite I'd be grabbing a 6 pack of Sam Adams (when many people had never even heard of it).

One of the lucky ones to purchase Boston Brewery stock? (offers were in 6 packs of Sam Adams).

I like the "Don't Tread On Me". We both must be trapped VA?
CA originally but I escaped to NV. Which sadly seems to want to be more like CA these days... Already planning my next escape. I have one on my car too. I can't think of a better way to symbolize We the People. Step on us, and we will strike. Everyone seems to often forget that the People of this great nation are in charge. NOT the government... Anyway, we are all family on this forum. Politics should have no place here. So my 5 second rant is over.

Also enjoyed beer from the beginning. When my college friends were getting cases of Busch Lite I'd be grabbing a 6 pack of Sam Adams (when many people had never even heard of it).

Got a 1-gallon all grain kit for Christmas from brother-in-law. That was brew #1. Doing #135 tomorrow.
Haha My family never wanted to get me brewing stuff. So I would just ask for money. Fortunately I was able to trade that good old US currency for brewing equipment! I win...

I got into home brewing because the brewer who produced my favorite beer of all time decide, in a fit of instransigence, to change the recipe.

See that is another great reason! I was just talking to a co-worker the other day who said he had a tiny brewery in his tiny hometown that was sold out to bigger brand. His favorite beer has never been the same. He brews his own now as well. The way he saw it, he didn't have any other choice.

I don't recall that!

But maybe I purchased a bunch and forgot all about it...

Read it in Jim Koch's book. He wanted to give people a fair way of getting in on the initial public offering.

I'm a member of the AHA. Many years ago, a package appears on my doorstep. What is this? I didn't order anything. Inside are 2 of the new Samuel Adams Boston Lager glasses. Seems Jim sent every member of the AHA 2 of the new glasses.

Jim is a decent guy, just like us. Needless to say SAM is part of my portfolio.

I started with beekeeping about 3 years ago. Last year I got 70lb of honey. Trying to figure out what to do with all that honey people kept telling me to make mead. Mead was easy, cider came next but I'm not a big fan of either. Today I just but my first batch of beer into the fermenter.
That's great! What did you brew?

I wanted to have a few bee hives in my backyard. HOA wouldn't allow. How un-American.
We are allowed here but I wasn't sure when I put one in so I painted it to blend in with the background so as not to attract too much attention. Didn't think about how much water they require until one of my neighbors was complaining about there were all these bees on her pool spillway for some reason. Now I have a water source next to the hive.

What was the beer?

Potosi Brewing "Cave Ale."

When it changed, I called the brewery to complain. I knew it had been altered because the ABV went from 6.5% to 5.5%. But the response from the brewery? "It's exactly the same recipe. The only thing different is the yeast."

Yeah. Nothing's changed.

I started brewing when I was in my 20s, mainly because I wanted a challenge, and it looked like such a cool hobby at the time. I'm getting ready to purchase a Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil and finally venture into all grain brewing at the ripe old age of 44. Having no access to a 220 volt circuit, no garage, no basement, extremely limited shed space, and not being real keen on trying to wire up an electric brew system by myself, the choices are either brew on a propane burner and be subject to the weather, or go with a 110 volt electric brew system I can set up in my kitchen. Propane is getting a bit pricey in my neck of the woods, so the obvious choice for me is to go electric. Being on a budget and having limited space, the Mash & Boil seems like the best bang for my $$. I'm also thinking of putting in a raised bed off the end of my house and try to grow some hops this year.

When I was in high school, I had a buddy who liked to drink, but of course was not 21 YO. His solution? Make home made mead. Very simple recipe - bread yeast, honey, brown sugar, tap water. He was my motivation into making my own alcohol. Started with basic wines, welches grape - meads ETC. I made a few recipes from
Jack Keller’s web site. In my experience, wines and meads took too long to reach prime. I wanted something I could turn over a lot faster. Then came beer.

Also, it’s just my personality that anything I like, I try to do it at home. I roll my own sushi now. Tackle all of my own home projects ETC.

We are allowed here but I wasn't sure when I put one in so I painted it to blend in with the background so as not to attract too much attention. Didn't think about how much water they require until one of my neighbors was complaining about there were all these bees on her pool spillway for some reason. Now I have a water source next to the hive.
I looked at doing this a couple of years ago. My family owns a little property about 30-40 mins from here. a bit of a drive but I could put as many hives out there as I want. I have too many expensive hobbies. I sometimes wonder how much money I would have if it didn't all go into hobbies...

I started brewing when I was in my 20s, mainly because I wanted a challenge, and it looked like such a cool hobby at the time. I'm getting ready to purchase a Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil and finally venture into all grain brewing at the ripe old age of 44. Having no access to a 220 volt circuit, no garage, no basement, extremely limited shed space, and not being real keen on trying to wire up an electric brew system by myself, the choices are either brew on a propane burner and be subject to the weather, or go with a 110 volt electric brew system I can set up in my kitchen. Propane is getting a bit pricey in my neck of the woods, so the obvious choice for me is to go electric. Being on a budget and having limited space, the Mash & Boil seems like the best bang for my $$. I'm also thinking of putting in a raised bed off the end of my house and try to grow some hops this year.
I have been looking at the Brewzilla 3.1. I definitely want to make the jump to all grain soon. Let me know how the Mash and Boil works out for you!

When I was in high school, I had a buddy who liked to drink, but of course was not 21 YO. His solution? Make home made mead. Very simple recipe - bread yeast, honey, brown sugar, tap water. He was my motivation into making my own alcohol. Started with basic wines, welches grape - meads ETC. I made a few recipes from
Jack Keller’s web site. In my experience, wines and meads took too long to reach prime. I wanted something I could turn over a lot faster. Then came beer.

Also, it’s just my personality that anything I like, I try to do it at home. I roll my own sushi now. Tackle all of my own home projects ETC.
I have been looking at rolling my own cigars. I love a good cigar as well. Never tried Sushi though. I would be in trouble if I started doing that. I would have to make Sushi breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the girlfriend every day...

I have been looking at the Brewzilla 3.1. I definitely want to make the jump to all grain soon. Let me know how the Mash and Boil works out for you!

Yeah, I was contemplating the Brewzilla 3.1 myself at one point, but none of the homebrew supply websites I've checked lately seem to have it in stock. Adventures In Homebrewing (my go to Jedi Temple and Master Yoda for all things homebrew!) is advertising the Mash and Boil for $299 right now, and from all the video reviews I've watched on YouTube it seems like it's a solid little system once you get used to it.

I always had sampler packs and random craft beers from the liq store sitting in the fridge. A friend of mine made a super sketchy beer kit about 15 years ago and it was god awful. I swore I'd never bother to even try to brew for as horrible as it tasted. My wife was out of Christmas ideas a year or so ago and bought me a starter kit. She was worried it was a waste of her money, since she knew the story. But she can also read me like a book. I was pretty much hooked instantly. I think I ordered 3 more kits and a second fermenter before I even bottled the first one.

So she's to blame, technically.

Two words: Mister Beer
Oldest son bought me a kit in 2004 and the rest is crazy history...

Cheers!

I brewed my first couple batches of beer on a Mr. Beer system and never could get a good tasting batch using it. Soon as I switched up to an actual 5 gallon system, my beers improved and I never looked back.

iirc, the kit came with their "Canadian Blonde" recipe. It was really good, actually - surprised me and everyone that tried it.
I actually had four of their barrel fermenters at one point and was brewing my own extract recipes before building my first 3v rig.
Gave them all away...

Cheers!

Started because a co-worker was a home brewer back in 1994. Then was talking with a friend who as a trained chef. Thought he being a chef and I being a chemist we might be able to make some beer. First batch was terrible as we thought we knew more than anyone. But, tried again (alone) and have been doing it ever since.

After consuming copious amounts of swill in high school and the early college days, a friend and I decided we wanted to venture into craft beer when we turned 21 and had a greater accessibility to purchase the beers of our choosing. Sample 12 packs of Leinie's, Sam Adam's and Dundee turned into trips to local breweries. One of our friend's dad had been brewing for a few years to save money on buying beer while also getting a better quality product. He invited us to try brewing with him and we were hooked. Fast forward a few years and my friend's dad decided he was getting a little too old for the time and physical demands of brewing and offered to sell me his equiptment at a reasonable price. I snapped at the opportunity. I've continued to refine my process and purchase way too much equiptment. Now I go to festivals serving my beer and I'm working towards going pro one day. It has been a fun journey. I'm excited to see where it leads.

i'm a nut job, and like the freedom of thought it gives me....to many people worship other people for things that make them feel things...and alcohol is so easy to make, i don't have to worship anybody!!! love it......

edit: if it wasn't for getting into homebrewing when i was ~18....the dope cooks might have kept me longer then the 6-7 months they had me! but they didn't like the fact i started wanting to save money and learn to make my own...lol, we obviously ended up having a disagreement about freedom....

Last edited:
It looks like everyone has a different story to tell. That's awesome! Keep the stories coming!

I looked at doing this a couple of years ago. My family owns a little property about 30-40 mins from here. a bit of a drive but I could put as many hives out there as I want. I have too many expensive hobbies. I sometimes wonder how much money I would have if it didn't all go into hobbies...
The first years were a money pit. Last year we had a lot of rain and the honey yield was great. More money on supers and frames but also I sold a lot of honey so it was probably a break even year.

The first years were a money pit. Last year we had a lot of rain and the honey yield was great. More money on supers and frames but also I sold a lot of honey so it was probably a break even year.
Seems to be the norm for the first year. It costs the bees their first yer to get fully established. The second year they start to produce a lot more. If they make it through winter....

Back in college (early 90's) chain grocery stores and the chain beer store near me were selling beer kits.
it's was mostly hopped extract.
so I made a few.
some were good, some were bad.

then I bought a house to renovate and pretty much every hobby I had was shelved for a few yrs.

about 4 yrs ago my dad bought a house to flip.
in the garage was a large stainless beverageaire keggerator.
it was missing the towers.
I took it.
I had a couple of corny kegs from my days of fast food.
when the company converted to bagged soda syrup they threw the kegs in the shed.
On cleaning day they gave them to me.

I found them in my parents basement.

the cogs started turning....
Found out I could get kegs filled at a local brewery for about $55.
which isn't a bad price for good beer on tap.
until I realized how fast it went when on tap.

after a yr of that a co-worker who used to brew told me I could make beer for cheaper.
Gave me some guidance.

I got a few extract kits online and made those.
was about 50/50 on them tasting good.
moved up to steeping grains.
got better.
went all grain with a 1 gallon kit and it turned out really really good.

started doing partial boil BIAB with grains crushed at the home brew shop in a 5 gal. pot on my stove.

grabbed a turkey fryer and burner on clearance at walmart.
started doing full boil.

got my own mill and that's really about it.

Back