How did it all start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my earliest memories (I'm in my early fifties) is of bringing my dad a beer (because that's what kids did back in those days). I don't remember exactly, but I was probably around 4 when I got my first sip. This was in Utah in the early 70's so still under 4%. I loved it. Eventually I would bring him a beer, and a small glass; I would get about 1/2 inch for myself. By the time I was 14 or so I could have a whole one to myself if I wanted; I didn't want to get drunk, I just loved the flavor. I was never one of the kids who drank to excess to be a rebel, I just loved the taste of it.

Fast forward a few decades, after we moved to Washington; of course living in the PNW we were at the epicenter of the craft brew explosion. First IPA I tasted, in my early 40's, I fell in love. I worked at a hospital in the early 90s where one of the pharmacists brewed his own, and shared some with me. I remember thinking, one day I'm gonna do that.

Fast forward another 10 years; 4 years or so ago, some friends of ours (also craft beer enthusiasts) gave me an old Mr Beer kit they had in their garage. That beer wasn't great, but I was hooked.

Today, I brew at least twice a month, sometimes more; and all of my disposable (hah) income goes towards the brewery, be it grain, propane, or the latest gadget I just have to have. Many mishaps and mistakes have happened, but for the most part I brew something tasty every time. Sipping on an exbeeriment as I type, an amber WF lager that's getting better day by day.

I come from a crafty family; my mother is a master quilter, my sister creates things on her sewing machine that make her lots of extra income, and my grandfather could build anything given enough wood and time, and also painted beautiful landscapes. I can knit, and sew, but this hobby is so much more rewarding; I'm creating something I love, that I like to share with my friends. And not to be too conceited, they've won medals. I say I don't care much about that aspect of it, but to get feedback from palates much more educated than mine makes me happy. I was also lucky enough to have a mentor, a former homebrewer who has turned his passion into a popular brewery/taproom, who taught me a lot, and now that I'm more advanced, does me the courtesy of asking my opinion on occasion. I consider him to be one of my closest friends, and he's actually coming over tomorrow to use the grain mill I bought from him two months ago because his supplier neglected to mill his adjunct grains. About 3/4 of my current equipment came from his homebrew days, so I love to have him come over and see what I'm doing with it.

TLDR; but I brew because I love beer; maybe not all styles, but the beauty of this hobby is I can brew what I want, and enjoy.

I never liked beer until I tasted Guinness; Guinness made me realize beer doesn't have to taste awful so I started to seek out other delicious beers.
I got into home brewing because in 2006, my wife got me a present, a "brew on premise" gift card to a local home brew supply place. Once I realized how fun and rewarding brewing is, I was hooked.
I took a few years off, but getting back into it now. I just brewed an Irish Red Ale today.

Back