How dark is dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joan

Reaction score
I've been brewing kombucha for a month or so now, keeping the jar in a closed cabinet at floor level next to a baseboard heat strip. It's been going pretty well.

I'd like to move the jar to a kitchen counter where I can draw off kombucha through the spigot without moving the jar. So I'm wondering, is kombucha like a parakeet, where you can just throw a cloth over the cage when the bird (kombucha) needs to rest? If the jar's on a counter where it's away from direct sunlight, and I also put a piece of light-blocking cloth over it, will that be good, or do I have to move it back to that cabinet? (The counter area stays about as warm as the cabinet.)

All advice gratefully received!

Joan

Thank you!

One thing I've wondered about with opaque vessels - do you lose anything by not being able to see into the brew from the sides. Is it that the only things you'd need to see (like mold) only show up on the surface?

Back