how cold is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtk6006

Reaction score
How cold is too cold during fermentation? I have a few ideas to try but im having heat issues. Im not losing this brew battle again! I almost quit! Now its personal! I swear to god brew might won the battle but im winning the war! Yes im annoyed! 10 months of screw up after screw up......i want homebrew that dont look like swamp water and taste like farts! The battle is on! Whats a good fermentation temp? I know conditioning temp and all working on that one too. Oh im gonna win regardless!

64-68F is a good average ale yeast temp range. And some of those UK/Euro yeasts make sulfur compounds while fermenting. Keep a good,constant temp at least during initial fermentation,& you'll go a long way toward better ales. Also,give the beer whatever amount of time in needs to get down to a stable FG. Then 3-7 days after that to clean up after itself & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Any decent yeast has the optimal fermentation temperature range on the back of the yeast pack. I always ferment near the lower number of the optimum range, which slows down the fermentation a bit compared to the higher temps, but makes for a much cleaner fermentation. Keep the temp consistant and within that range and you'll make good beer!

For ale's, try to shoot under 70. Over 70 and they get a little fruity and off tasting. I prefer 65. I have a beer sitting at 62, curious to see how it turns out.

Look up the recommended temp range for the yeast you are using. I do what Topher does and like to ferment at the lower end of the range for most yeasts. Keep the temp stable for the first week at least and you should make good beer.

Two other things that will go a long way towards making god beer are sanitize everyhing. When in doubt sanitize it again. Second is to pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast.

Do all of that and your beers will turn out very good (assuming it is a decent recipe)

Back