How cold is it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got another 4-5 inches of snowfall overnight last night and into today. The temps, however, are much more moderate; currently 24°F with a bit of sunshine. The next ten days are going to be much closer to normal, but still on the cool side. There are a couple of places where my snow blower is having a hard time getting the snow up and over the piles. We have had almost SEVENTY inches of snow this winter...ALL of it in storms of less than 10 inches of accumulation. That means MANY smaller storms. I'm getting tired of using my snow blower about every third day!

glenn514:mug:

We got another 4-5 inches of snowfall overnight last night and into today. The temps, however, are much more moderate; currently 24°F with a bit of sunshine. The next ten days are going to be much closer to normal, but still on the cool side. There are a couple of places where my snow blower is having a hard time getting the snow up and over the piles. We have had almost SEVENTY inches of snow this winter...ALL of it in storms of less than 10 inches of accumulation. That means MANY smaller storms. I'm getting tired of using my snow blower about every third day!

The closest place around here that measures snowfall is Muskegon, They had 129.4" and we have more than that. My son works in Grand Rapids and they had 110" so far and he say's he has more at his house, and that I have more than he does. I don't know how much we have but it's a bunch. I'm running out of places to put it. The snow blower runs every day, and I have to rake the roof everyday. Thank goodness Lake Michigan is frozen over or we would be dealing with the Lake effect snow also.

When my entire family would make our semi-annual trek from the Milwaukee area to central Michigan at Christmas, I would often have to drive through that lake effect snow. That has got to be a *****!

During a normal Winter about 51% of the Great Lakes are frozen over. This year they are already >92% frozen.

glsea_cur.png

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/pgs/ice.html

^I saw that on nbcnews.com before hijackthis had it's evil way with my comp. Pour old fella got bent over big time. Finally got all the bad stuff out of it a lil bit ago. But some needed files still MIA. But that ice pack on Lake Erie is already receeding.

It got up to 54F yesterday,so it's melting even more. It took until we got those "polar vortex" storms to get it to start freezing. But then it was rapid. Frozen as far as the eye could see on this bluff above the shoreline in Sheffield Lake. The usual mountain of broken ice pack didn't really happen this year. It melted/receeded from the shoreline instead. So far anyway. All that broken ice pack usually wreaks havoc on the walls people made to try & stop it from eroding their back yards. But the sheer weight of all that ice destroys them anyway.

It's going to be mid to high 40s today, and I want to tap some maple trees, but I got a nasty head and chest cold. Was going to head home from work after changing my backup tape, but it turns out there is a problem with a machine, so I need to stay until I can call the tech support company to get it running again. They are Central time!

I hate being sick when the weather is nice. I really ought to see a doctor about some antibiotics. When it hits the chest like this, it tends to linger for a few weeks.

Snow we got the other day melted yesterday. Warmer here today,but I can't get newsfeed homepage to see what temp is yet.

I sure do hope we're over the hump! Currently, we're at 42°F, and nine of the next ten days have highs above freezing. Almost no precip in the forecast, as well, so these piles of snow will certainly begin to shrink. The overnight lows, while below freezing, stay in double digits! Note to self: next year, shoot the damn groundhog BEFORE Groundhog Day!

80 degrees on Sunday, which was awesome with 13 knots of breeze. A little too warm for comfort while driving home though. I will be in Edmonton this weekend where I will have suffer the wrath of winter though.

IMG_5193_HDR.JPG

45 degrees as I write this (warmest day in months). I went walking at lunch time and didn't bother with a jacket or sweater. But...tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow. We'll see if that actually happens.

The last 4 days have been great. Over 40° & no snow, for the first time in 3 months we haven't had snow everyday. I spent 4 hours Monday cleaning up ice jambs and roof snow. Shovel the roof, then shovel the snow from the roof off the deck and driveway , The top of my head is now sunburned...it feels great

It got over 50° today, but tomorrow we're expecting 6-9 inches and a low of 1°.

That's why I finally get a chance to brew again, I cleaned up the snow and while we won't get the snow you are expecting, (and you might get less if it continues to move South), we are only expected to get 3" I expect closer to 1" A good day for me to relax and brew.

Supposed to be only 25F here today. Schools cancelled,since snow & freezing rainstorm coming sometime this afternoon. Not sure we'll get it,but it's looking like we will.

I hate being in the edge of the snow belt along the coast of Lake Erie. Like we say here in NE Ohio,if you don't like the weather,wait 5 minutes...!...

We were supposed to get 2-4 inches, but the band of snow stayed south, so we only got a dusting. I'm glad, however, that I put a piece of plywood over my air conditioning compressor! The ice dam in the roof gutter above it finally let loose...and I'm sure it would have damaged the unit! Not gonna get above freezing today, but NINE of the next ten days will be above freezing with little precipitation. The snow melt will occur slowly! Hooray! My cellar may stay dry!

We were supposed to get 2-4 inches, but the band of snow stayed south, so we only got a dusting. I'm glad, however, that I put a piece of plywood over my air conditioning compressor! The ice dam in the roof gutter above it finally let loose...and I'm sure it would have damaged the unit! Not gonna get above freezing today, but NINE of the next ten days will be above freezing with little precipitation. The snow melt will occur slowly! Hooray! My cellar may stay dry!

Have you seen the latest weather map? I'm not sure exactly where you are, but it looks like you could still be hit with some more snow!

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

We were forecast to get down to the teens today, but it changed so we are looking at mid 20s now. And it doesn't seem like it's going to be colder than that for the rest of the week with some 30s in there as well. I think we've turned the corner!

Here in NE Ohio,edge of the snow belt,it got here about half hour ago. Sleet into snow/freezing rain looks like atm. So much for this afternoon...

Yup, I read my weather forecast wrong. Remember that 25 degrees I thought we were getting? It's already here. The temps are DROPPING down to about 15 today, and then down to -7 overnight.

Good thing I wore my coat to work!

Yeah,25F here today too. You could feel the temp dropping a little while ago. Snow getting heavier as it goes on,like a fog dang near.

Homercidal...just checked the local radar. There is a batch of snow slipping south just west of Rockford, Illinois. As it slips, it shrinks and begins to disappear. We are about 25 miles east of Rockford. It's windy and the sky is grey...but no precipitation. Maybe we'll dodge this bullet!

Nice!

After a day to two of pretty cold weather, it's supposed to warm back up a bit. I probably have most of a week before I can even think about tapping trees though.

The Winter Storm Warning we had has been changed to a Blizzard Warning. The snowfall prediction has been changed from 5-10 inches to 8-16 inches. And the wind chill is supposed to be -15 to -20 below by morning.

jcoxen...that's the bullet we dodged, I think. Currently, we're at 12°F with a high today around 40°F. And the ten-day forecast is MOTS...More Of The Same! Had to drive to a neighboring town the other day, and the snow piles were various shades of gray to black. Icky!!! Be gone, Snow Piles!

14F here this morning with 1-2" of snow from yesterday. Partly sunny with possible high of 19F. I wish spring would hurry up.

jcoxen...that's the bullet we dodged, I think. Currently, we're at 12°F with a high today around 40°F. And the ten-day forecast is MOTS...More Of The Same! Had to drive to a neighboring town the other day, and the snow piles were various shades of gray to black. Icky!!! Be gone, Snow Piles!

We got the temps and wind chill but not the snow. The blizzard went north of us I guess. The freezing rain/sleet/snow/whatever mix we got last night made for interesting driving this morning but currently it has warmed up to around 5 degrees with a beautiful, blue sky so hopefully it's all over.

Why do people actually live in places that get more than a few inches of snow or stay below freezing for more than a day or two on a routine basis? Shoveling every other day (or even once a year)does not sound like fun.

...it just isn't for me I guess.

I lived in Dallas, Texas for five years. Prior to 1992, I lived my entire life in Wisconsin. I really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y missed the four seasons living in Texas, so I moved back north as soon as I could. And I don't really complain about the snow and cold. I look at them as a challenge! And my house here in Illinois is MUCH better insulated than the home I owned in Texas.

It apparently was like 35 degrees outside today according to my phone.

I shut myself in and didn't go outside. Screw that noise.

It was 15F when I got up this morning. Gonna be 50F tomorrow instead of Thursday,when it'll snow again. Dammit,where's spring? Go home,old man winter...you're drunk again...:drunk:

You know it's cold when you drive by a parked truck with a snow plow on the front end, and they've spray painted "Think Spring" on the plow blade.

Back