How close is your (L)HBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How close is your (L)HBS?

• Under 15

• 15-30

• 30-60

• Over an Hour

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bummer. As often as I seem to forget stuff, I'd be screwed if my LHBS was 2.5 hours away. I think we have three total, but I only use two regularly. One is about 15 minutes away from my work and the other is about 20 minutes from my house.

Let's see- it's about 150 miles away but it's really small so I don't go very often. I go to Northern Brewer and/or Midwest about once a year- (300 miles to Minneapolis).

I have a choice of 2 that are an hours drive, but the hours are not good. Monday thru Friday till 5 sat sun till 7. I only have one weekend off a month, so I'm an online shopper most times

Four hours one way. I do not go often, and never the only reason. However when I do go I really stock up.

Since I've been staying at my dad's place in Michigan, the brew shop is about a mile and a half away. AND it's a good shop with a lot of variety (except in the hop dept. for some reason). Not bad. :tank:

When I was still in Arizona, I had to drive a couple hours to get to a shop.

50 miles. It's a good shop but it's a lot easier just to have stuff show up at my door step.

5 mi. Midsouth Malts...great selection and excellent service!

I have 2 that are both about 20 mins from my house. One is about 10 from my office. Everyone there is very helpful and I'll end up spending just as much time shooting the **** with the employees as shopping.

Mine's about an hour and twenty minutes away, but it's near my wife's work so I send her there occasionally.

A few around the Bay Area I go to the store in Berkeley about 4 miles away. Staff is great, they do serve beer there and the only issue as another guy stated at his LHBS is the hops.

We have a few in Winnipeg but the prices and selection on grains, hops, yeast sucks. So, I order from Northern Brewer and have items shipped to Pembina, ND which is only a 3 hr round trip drive including border wait times. It could be worse.

I've got 2, 1 is 25 minutes, 1 is 45 minutes, fortunately the closer one has great hours, nice people and everything I need including lots of hardware as well as all the ingredients.

the only issue as another guy stated at his LHBS is the hops.

Mine has a good selection of hops, but they keep each variety in a big jar in the fridge. I don't know how old they are and they've been exposed to oxygen the whole time. I opt to buy hops online instead.

Im about 5 mins from Northern Brewer Minnapolis and 15 mins from both Northern St. Paul and Midwest, Im not looking forward to moving in 6 to 8 months.

My answer is a technicality. There are 3 LHBS within 15 minutes of work. but i live 45 minutes from work.

Mine is about 20 minutes away. It's a touch pricey, but the guys there are really friendly and helpful and they've always had everything I need.

15 minutes away but closed mon-wed. That's a long wait when you realize you need something on Monday!

I have three different ones to choose from each are about 30 minutes....I once rode my bicycle and picked up a smackpack and a few hops...It was a great...the smackpack warmed up and swelled in my pants and I was ready to brew.

Come to think of it that was the best beer I ever made.

ktblunden said:
Mine has a good selection of hops, but they keep each variety in a big jar in the fridge. I don't know how old they are and they've been exposed to oxygen the whole time. I opt to buy hops online instead.

They have a huge selection but the ones I want always seem to be gone.

About 30 to 45 min depending on traffic and weather. Typically go in twice a month and stack it with getting other things from the city. Great people with decent selection. Kits always seem to be out of stock but always has extract and hops in good supply and fresh too. Lots of different grains to choose from and a fair amount of hardware. Just needs the other workers to learn more about beer brewing (they do wine and cheese as well)

One is only 2 miles from my house. Two others are 3.5 miles. More are 7.5, 10, 11, and 16 miles away.

Seven homebrew stores within 16 miles and there's probably a couple I'm forgetting. Score one for the Portland area.

The poll is asking long it takes to get there, vs how many miles. Mine is 10 miles away and can take from 15min to 90min depending on trafic. But my LHBS is a great place with lots of stock and bags of grain and hot good coffee. I like to go there and spend money even if I can find it cheeper online, becasue I enjoy the time spent there talking to people. And they know I'm in the loop of brewers and they comp me stuff now and again.

Back