How bad is cold crashing for your fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PasbitinusBluinusRibbinus

Reaction score
As I sat and listened to my chest freezer cold crashing 10 gallons of beer for the first time, I had to wonder how bad 8hrs of constant running was for the freezer.

For those who have burned up chest freezers, how much life did you get out of it? There are plenty of beers that I don't need to cold crash, and I would avoid doing it if it was quickly killing my freezer.

I've had the same fermentation chamber for 3 yrs and it's still rocking. The freezer was about 6 years old when I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your freezer compressor runs for 8 hours straight? That doesn't seem right.
What temp do you have your freezer set for?
Where is your temperature probe?
What is the approximate temperature of your wort when you put it in the freezer?

It's much worse for the compressor to constantly turn on and off than it is to run for extended periods of time.

Your freezer compressor runs for 8 hours straight? That doesn't seem right.[...]

Agreed, if my keezer ran its compressor for much more than an hour straight I suspect I'd have six or seven kegs about to freeze.
And if they didn't, I'd suspect my keezer was on its way to Keezer Heaven...

Cheers!

For cold crashing my beers before bottling, I drop the temperature 3F - 5F at a time so I make sure I don't accidently freeze all the other crap I keep in my ferm chamber.

Unless the freezer is malfunctioning, this shouldn't be a problem for it at all. This is simply how it would've operated as a freezer...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back