How are your hallertau's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Say that three times fast...
Anyway, my first year hallertau's are only half the size of my cascades, is that normal?

DSC_00132.JPG

There doing ok. Almost time to pick.

Damn near dead, but I think it may be too hot here for them. Willamettes are doing the best for me.

Mine are also half the height of my Cascades. They *just* started to take off in the last couple weeks. They're at about 8 feet where as my Cascades are about 13-14' or so.

I'd post picks, but I'm at work...

Hallertauer are doing pretty good. They're healthy, but it looks like they're going to be the lightest producer this first year (aside from the Sterling which has no cones) - lighter than even my Saaz. I'm planning on harvesting some tonight, while I should be able to get a second harvest at a later date from some younger bines.

It's hard to compare different varieties, particularly a noble vs. a vigorous grower like Cascade. For example, my Saaz and Hallertauer, while doing quite well, are nothing compared to my Crystal, which is bound and determined to take over the entire trellis.

Thanks guys, I guess slow growth and a light yeild must be about par for the first year.

Thanks guys, I guess slow growth and a light yeild must be about par for the first year.

Yep. Though keep in mind, as I alluded to, it's more than likely that you'll never get the same kind of yield from the Hallertauer as you do from the Cascade.

Piked my Hallertaus last week, got about 2.5oz when dried out. Not bad for a single first year vine.

Back