How are you chilling your Flex+?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering a Flex+ since I don't harvest yeast often, but I want to have a plan for how I'm going to control fermentation temperature. I currently have a modified dorm fridge that comfortably fits a carboy/big mouth, but it won't hold a Flex+ with the racking arm.

I would prefer not to use glycol because it seems like overkill and a pain for chilling a single fermenter and it's expensive.

I would much prefer to use a glass door fridge but I need suggestions on which ones it will fit in.

Curious how everyone else is doing it!

I'm using mine in a cooler with other fermenters. I use flex watt heat tape on the fermenters to get them to the temp I want. I keep the cooler at about 38-40F so cooling it easy once fermentation is over. Sorry, I don't have any recommendations on a glass door fridge. Wine chiller maybe?

I'm using mine in a cooler with other fermenters. I use flex watt heat tape on the fermenters to get them to the temp I want. I keep the cooler at about 38-40F so cooling it easy once fermentation is over. Sorry, I don't have any recommendations on a glass door fridge. Wine chiller maybe?

That's an interesting concept but seems inefficient since your heating and cooling elements are fighting against each other

It may be less efficient, but they are in a walk in cooler that is already cold anyway. I could probably put a blanket around the fermenters if I was really worried about it, but I've never had a reason to.

Back