How about this for an all-grain setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a complete setup for all-grain brewing and am considering the following:

10 gal Blichmann Boilermaker for HLT
10 gal Blichmann Boilermaker w/ false bottom and sparge arm for Mash tun
10 gal Blichmann Boilermaker w/ hopblocker for Brewpot
Therminator
7 gal Conical Fermenter
2 propane burners.

Does this sound like a good setup? The whole setup delivered for about $2600 total.

Also, does the MLT in this setup need a separate burner or should one just insulate.

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't decided what kind of mash system to use yet. I'm a newbie and need to do a bit more research. To be honest I was thinking about insulating the MLT and doing an infusion mash. I would welcome suggestions though. The system will be propane.

Now my solo burner/8 gallon unmodified ss pot/home depot cooler mash tun/immersion chiller setup doesn't seem so glamourous...

Better than what I am using now :)

Seriously, I don't have the time or the patience to piecemeal a system together with DIY stuff. Usually it ends up being more expensive in the long run that way for me because inevitably I end up upgrading to the stuff I should have had to begin with. That being said, I really admire the systems guys here have built from scratch.

Hello RandyAB in the Foothills. If you're serious about the Blichmann equipment let me know. I have just recently been given the distributorship for Blichmann here in Western Canada and I'm about to place a stock order. When you are ready to get going let me know, I'm sure I can provide you competative pricing.
Regards,
HD

Hello RandyAB in the Foothills. If you're serious about the Blichmann equipment let me know. I have just recently been given the distributorship for Blichmann here in Western Canada and I'm about to place a stock order. When you are ready to get going let me know, I'm sure I can provide you competative pricing.
Regards,
HD

Hey Hopdawg, I'd be happy to recieve another quote.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of that equipment. I'd go with 3 burners since you have 3 steel pots. You'll want a direct fired mash since the uninsulated MLT won't hold heat too well.

That said, If I was going to Blingman pots, I'd go 15G. You won't do 10G batches in a 10G pot, but you can do 5G batches in a 15G pot. This will prevent you from having to upgrade in the future. There WILL be at least the occasional time when you want to brew a 10G batch.
I do 10G batches whenever I'm brewing for an event. 5 for the event and 5 for my house for no extra work.

Plus one on the fifteen gallon upgrade. I am already kicking myself for buying a ten gallon boilermaker. When I upgrade this will likely be an undersized HLT as it will not support ten gallon boils... Or, I will just make five gallon batches forever.

i agree with the rest, go bigger. That's a ton of money for a 5 gal system. if you are thinking about insulatin the MLT, just buy a cooler and put that money towards larger pots.

The setup you describe is indeed adequate, and one that most members on this board would be envious of, however, as a fellow newbie in the all-grain arena, there is more to brewing than 'bling'. I'm not knocking the decision to 'go big or go home', but I think that there is valuable experience that one can get in a piecemeal system where you are learning processes and such. The value of that experience, in my opinion, outweighs that extra money you spend as you progress and fine tune that system that works for you.

But cheers to you and your new gear!

I would definitely suggest TRYING all grain brewing methods before you spend a boat load of money on an all grain setup. You might like batch sparging or you might like fly sparging. You may like the portability of a cheaper system... I would at least seek out a local homebrew club and ask someone to let you brew all grain with them. I have been brewing for about 4 years now, and been going all grain for around 3 of them. In that time I have changed MLT's 3 times. I now know exactly what I want when I do get my dream system. Above all else, definitely get 15 gallons so you can do 10 gallon batches...

Don't take this the wrong way, but would you buy a 16 yr old a Ferrari or a Kia?

Thanks all for the input. I will look at bigger pots. I also would check out local brew clubs but I live in the boonies and I do not think there is a local club. I really wasn't interested in just buying fancy stuff because it is fancy stuff. I just didn't want to be taking the time and trouble to find and modify old kegs just to realize it would cost as much as the Blichmann stuff in the long term. Where I live I don't think sourcing the stuff would be that easy. I've read a bunch of DIY stuff on making mash tuns and other equipment and I can't help thinking to myself that I really don't feel like soldering copper manifolds together. Not really in my skill repertoire for one thing. I'd rather be brewing beer.

+1 on bigger pots, I've only done two all grain brews, but they have both been 10 gallon batches, because it is just as easy to make 10 gallons as it is to make 5.

That looks like a pretty good start. Are you going to pump between pots or just use gravity? Does it come with hoses and fittings? Do you have all of the little stuff like thermometer, hydrometer, siphon, sanitizing, bottling or kegging equipment?

If you really must have a blichmann, I'd start with the boil kettle. You can build a cheap 10 gallon mash tun from an igloo cooler, a cooler conversion kit, and a SS false bottom. It's still light enough to ship if you decide you must have the Blichmann MLT...

That looks like a pretty good start. Are you going to pump between pots or just use gravity? Does it come with hoses and fittings? Do you have all of the little stuff like thermometer, hydrometer, siphon, sanitizing, bottling or kegging equipment?

I am going to go with the 15gal pots, it works out to about 10% more $ for double the brewing capacity. I plan on getting a pump to move transfer between pots. I still need the hoses and fittings but I'll wait and see what I need once I get the other stuff set up. I have the rest of the little stuff as I am already brewing extracts and wine.

Back