how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61b-r2k8YDL._AC_SX569_.jpg

first winter I lived in Minneapolis, it got down to -20°F with a 25 mph wind = 50° BELOW wind chill

& the first time I ever heard the phrase "too cold to snow". didn't get much snow until it started warming up in the spring

there was also a point where it got to be 20° ABOVE zero & it felt warm enough to go outside wearing shorts & tshirt

dZlmejegpIcqC1lDW3VIIMM2WSfCmUOiAK9_tliSzLk.jpg

@GrogNerd as someone living in finland, i can totally relate to that, it's always interesting how you can be in t-shirt at 10 celcius in the spring, but when autumn hits 10 is about when to switch to wintercoat for cycling. Here it usually snows most in early and late winter too, when it goes below -20 there's just not enough moisture left in the air.

I get the physics & meteorological explanation behind it, it's just weird for someone who grew up mostly in the southern US to wrap your noodle around "too cold to snow"

& I've been to Kotka. you have a beautiful country, with beautiful people (especially the female variety) & outstanding olut

I even had a sauna. middle of summer, so not a true jump in a frozen lake in between sessions kind, but still learned what we in the US call a sauna is actually a steam bath

first winter I lived in Minneapolis, it got down to -20°F with a 25 mph wind = 50° BELOW wind chill

& the first time I ever heard the phrase "too cold to snow". didn't get much snow until it started warming up in the spring

there was also a point where it got to be 20° ABOVE zero & it felt warm enough to go outside wearing shorts & tshirt

View attachment 782202

You're in Minneapolis? Your profile lists Virginia.

Reminds me of a friend of mine from years ago who joined military reserves of some variety and told me a little about it. We were in Minnesota at the time, and he went to basic training in some base way down south. It was springtime and he'd apparently show up to early morning runs in shorts and a t-shirt and everyone else thought he was crazy because they were freezing. He said that even pre-dawn it was as warm there as we were experiencing at noon in Minnesota.

lived in Plymouth with my dad, got my own apartment in Robbinsdale, lost my job, evicted, moved to SOUTH Minneapolis, friends let me crash on their couch at their house, where they partied late every night & the only job I could get at the time was opening McDs, up at 530am

joined the Navy to escape that sh!thole.

late November, went to San Diego for bootcamp & gotta say, it was still cold to me in SoCal

after discharged, moved back here to VA, where most of my family is (including Dad, who divorced & changed jobs)

You're in Minneapolis? Your profile lists Virginia.

Reminds me of a friend of mine from years ago who joined military reserves of some variety and told me a little about it. We were in Minnesota at the time, and he went to basic training in some base way down south. It was springtime and he'd apparently show up to early morning runs in shorts and a t-shirt and everyone else thought he was crazy because they were freezing. He said that even pre-dawn it was as warm there as we were experiencing at noon in Minnesota.

ya know, my entire life I thought it was an uneventful one, but GD, do I have some firkin stories to tell

I chased a u-boat with sonar. pinged an actual German submarine

it was the only real sub I chased & I have a photo (it was submerged when I chased it)

german 209.jpg

lived in Plymouth with my dad, got my own apartment in Robbinsdale, lost my job, evicted, moved to SOUTH Minneapolis, friends let me crash on their couch at their house, where they partied late every night & the only job I could get at the time was opening McDs, up at 530am

joined the Navy to escape that sh!thole.

late November, went to San Diego for bootcamp & gotta say, it was still cold to me in SoCal

after discharged, moved back here to VA, where most of my family is (including Dad, who divorced & changed jobs)

Wow, Plymouth. I have some family over there.

Around there somewhere. We used to make day trips there for a holiday or two a year, but our visits declined around the time I was in middle school and I haven't been there in well over 5 years. I never really developed a good mental map of the area.

Around there somewhere. We used to make day trips there for a holiday or two a year, but our visits declined around the time I was in middle school and I haven't been there in well over 5 years. I never really developed a good mental map of the area.

I haven't been back since 1990

ya know, my entire life I thought it was an uneventful one, but GD, do I have some firkin stories to tell

I chased a u-boat with sonar. pinged an actual German submarine

it was the only real sub I chased & I have a photo (it was submerged when I chased it)

View attachment 782203
Back in the 'good old days' of the Cold War, we were passively tracking a Soviet boomer boat and received clearance to "ping" it. Unfortunately, nobody had cleared this unusual permission with SUBLANT which apparently had an undetected SSN "trailer" on the Boomer. We had the Boomer 'basket cased' but never saw the SSN. Ooops.

I'm glad I wasn't included in the Pentagon-level 'debrief' between COMWINGSLANT & COMSUBLANT.

Back in the 'good old days' of the Cold War, we were passively tracking a Soviet boomer boat and received clearance to "ping" it. Unfortunately, nobody had cleared this unusual permission with SUBLANT which apparently had an undetected SSN "trailer" on the Boomer. We had the Boomer 'basket cased' but never saw the SSN. Ooops.

I'm glad I wasn't included in the Pentagon-level 'debrief' between COMWINGSLANT & COMSUBLANT.

this was in the Baltic Sea, way too shallow for our tail, our hull mount is crap in any ocean in the best of conditions, so we sent out the helo, tried to track with DIFAR (passive buoy), but had to DICASS (active buoy) it.

Yorktown & O'Bannon both banging away with their active hull-mount, not seeing crap, me & the AW... "there it is. there. there it is." in between swaths of their active noise

Sonar Tech was the most awesomest job in the Navy. start with having to know all this & that's only the first part, the EASY & FUN ('fun' is actually in the URL) part of A school. then there's LOFARGRAMS. now add electronics training & having to maintain (our system had 2 parts, I had 2 C schools) AND operate your gear. I also had 2 "mini schools" plus 2 more intense LOFARGRAM schools.

I spent nearly half my 6-year enlistment just going to schools. all that to chase 1 sub in my career

this was in the Baltic Sea, way too shallow for our tail, our hull mount is crap in any ocean in the best of conditions, so we sent out the helo, tried to track with DIFAR (passive buoy), but had to DICASS (active buoy) it.

Yorktown & O'Bannon both banging away with their active hull-mount, not seeing crap, me & the AW... "there it is. there. there it is." in between swaths of their active noise

Sonar Tech was the most awesomest job in the Navy. start with having to know all this & that's only the first part, the EASY & FUN ('fun' is actually in the URL) part of A school. then there's LOFARGRAMS. now add electronics training & having to maintain (our system had 2 parts, I had 2 C schools) AND operate your gear. I also had 2 "mini schools" plus 2 more intense LOFARGRAM schools.

I spent nearly half my 6-year enlistment just going to schools. all that to chase 1 sub in my career
For the longest time in my Navy career we were mostly limited to LOFAR/DIFAR, since pinging a target was considered an act of aggression. On the rare occasions we got authorization to go active, the TACCOs and AWs had a field day. The window for pinging was usually very short, maybe only a few minutes out of a 12 hour patrol. Just a 'friendly' reminder to let Ivan know we were 'there' and could deliver much more than just little love pats.

For the longest time in my Navy career we were mostly limited to LOFAR/DIFAR, since pinging a target was considered an act of aggression. On the rare occasions we got authorization to go active, the TACCOs and AWs had a field day. The window for pinging was usually very short, maybe only a few minutes out of a 12 hour patrol. Just a 'friendly' reminder to let Ivan know we were 'there' and could deliver much more than just little love pats.
I can't recall ever going active on our 56 (on an FFG) only listening to whales & shrimp, lulling us to sleep on the midwatch.

I was 89 tech, learned the towed array & LAMPS III systems, but I was mostly responsible for the LAMPS/SPOP system (who doesn't love a YUK 20?)

also the 2 sub-systems I went to mini-school for. SIMAS (Sonar In-situ Mode Assessment System. HP micro-computer) which calculated frequency ranges & the OBT, the On-Board Trainer, our skipper's pride & joy. it was a touch-screen (new tech, back in '90) TRAINING system that injected sub noises & could be used tail wet or dry, underway or pier-side (well... not WET while in port), with or without helo, on-deck or flying. Capn LOVED to show that thing off. any brass came on board (Welcome aboard, Admiral Kelso, CNO), I was there to demonstrate it. I had to replace the display circuit board once, supply said $56k to replace, Capn approved, while turning down approval for a $15k part for the gun.

I can't recall ever going active on our 56 (on an FFG) only listening to whales & shrimp, lulling us to sleep on the midwatch.

I was 89 tech, learned the towed array & LAMPS III systems, but I was mostly responsible for the LAMPS/SPOP system (who doesn't love a YUK 20?)

also the 2 sub-systems I went to mini-school for. SIMAS (Sonar In-situ Mode Assessment System. HP micro-computer) which calculated frequency ranges & the OBT, the On-Board Trainer, our skipper's pride & joy. it was a touch-screen (new tech, back in '90) TRAINING system that injected sub noises & could be used tail wet or dry, underway or pier-side (well... not WET while in port), with or without helo, on-deck or flying. Capn LOVED to show that thing off. any brass came on board (Welcome aboard, Admiral Kelso, CNO), I was there to demonstrate it. I had to replace the display circuit board once, supply said $56k to replace, Capn approved, while turning down approval for a $15k part for the gun.
I once accompanied a retired Senior Chief AW on a tour of P-8 Posiedon (successor to the venerable P-3 Orion). In civilian life, Senior worked in R&D for a defense contactor who developed much of the software and hardware for P-3 Update II as well as P-8 prototypes.

After about 2 minutes, the AW1 who was showing us the sensor suite (who was himself an "A" school instructor) started asking my Senior Chief friend questions about how the system worked. Of course they had lost me at, "This is a sonogram..."

there's so much wrong with this picture.....
-single phase bar for the feed on a 3 phase breaker, 2 different kind of breakers that won't fit the same bar anyway.
-unifying the zero and ground rails to use for more zero rail instead of just swapping the zero rail for a bigger one.
- no feed wire, device wires are white instead of brown/black/grey.
-using metalworker gloves to work on electric....shitty combination pliers instead of stripper tool that you'd need here, while the red screwdriver is correct, the yellow one is not insulated or safe to use for electrical work.

there's so much wrong with this picture.....
-single phase bar for the feed on a 3 phase breaker, 2 different kind of breakers that won't fit the same bar anyway.
-unifying the zero and ground rails to use for more zero rail instead of just swapping the zero rail for a bigger one.
- no feed wire, device wires are white instead of brown/black/grey.
-using metalworker gloves to work on electric....shitty combination pliers instead of stripper tool that you'd need here, while the red screwdriver is correct, the yellow one is not insulated or safe to use for electrical work.
Not three phase breaker, one 16A and 2 6A single phase breakers in a row.

Huh that's makes it even weirder to use 2 different types of breakers
Welcome to the strange world of DIN-rail electrical. Unless you're dedicated, you buy what the supplier has available, or what the prop department can borrow from the electrician's toolbox. Those look like three IEK (available on AliExpress make of that as you will) and two Hager breakers. I've got a board that's been expanded over a couple of decades and have at least three breaker manufacturers in there with one having changed aesthetics between upgrades.

From what I understand with the American/Canadian model, you can only only put compatible devices in a specific DB and if a manufacturer goes out of business and you can't find breakers anymore, you have to replace the entire DB. With DIN, after a while you end up with...

large.IMG-20170124-WA0001.jpg.b459cee0a36e191a58410763d3001eb8.jpg

Welcome to the strange world of DIN-rail electrical. Unless you're dedicated, you buy what the supplier has available, or what the prop department can borrow from the electrician's toolbox. Those look like three IEK (available on AliExpress make of that as you will) and two Hager breakers. I've got a board that's been expanded over a couple of decades and have at least three breaker manufacturers in there with one having changed aesthetics between upgrades.

From what I understand with the American/Canadian model, you can only only put compatible devices in a specific DB and if a manufacturer goes out of business and you can't find breakers anymore, you have to replace the entire DB. With DIN, after a while you end up with...
Heh, I work for a big finish company that build din based breaker boxes for anything from small homes to factories, we never build with different brands within one box, even different ranges from the same manufacturers have to be on different rails.

Back