how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FjyKEt7XwAE0RFO.png

Even those ’80s supercomputers, seen today as dusty monoliths, were already light-years ahead of the one that helped put Neil Armstrong on the moon more than half a century ago. By 1985, the supercomputer CRAY-2 had become the fastest and most powerful machine ever built. It set the world record with a peak performance of 1.9 gigaflops, or 1.9 billion floating point operations per second (FLOPS), vastly exceeding the 12,250 FLOPS peak performance of the Apollo 11 Guidance Computer just 16 years earlier.

The CRAY-2 supercomputer was designed for the United States Departments of Defense and Energy, primarily to be used for nuclear weapons research and oceanographic development.

Compare that to today’s smartphones, which are about 5,000 times faster than the CRAY-2.

Wish I could find it but there’s a great Baby Blues where the mom is holding the baby wrapping presents and stirring batter, saying “don’t you just hate all the stress at the holidays?” And the husband, just standing there, says “what stress?”

Gets me every time.

my bedroom from 8 to 11yo, then 15 to 18yo

in the basement; no closet, no windows, no egress.

my brother & sister had drywall. closets. windows.

all I had was that exact wood paneling & a door

View attachment 808205

1) you grew up in my house??
2) get out of my house!!

“We lived in a hole in the middle of the road! Got up at half past six 30 minutes before we go to bed, work 29 hr a day at the mill and pay the millwright tuppence for the pleasure, get home and our dad would kill us with a butter knife and dance around our graves singing hallelujah! Try and tell the kids that these days and they don’t believe ya!”

“We lived in a hole in the middle of the road! Got up at half past six 30 minutes before we go to bed, work 29 hr a day at the mill and pay the millwright tuppence for the pleasure, get home and our dad would kill us with a butter knife and dance around our graves singing hallelujah! Try and tell the kids that these days and they don’t believe ya!”
But did you have to eat a hand full of gravel before cleaning the lake?

my bedroom from 8 to 11yo, then 15 to 18yo

in the basement; no closet, no windows, no egress.

my brother & sister had drywall. closets. windows.

all I had was that exact wood paneling & a door

View attachment 808205
PFFT… My dad had wood paneling in every room, accept for the bathrooms. There was no getting away from it.

That's the way our house was. My room was added on later though so it's paneling was lighter brown than the rest of the house.
Whatever was “on sale” and wasn’t too awful (matter of opinion) was what was used. I get my frugal ways from no stranger, but I don’t take it to the extreme that my folks did. More like save money on this to have more money for that.

Back