Houstonian switching from Defalcos to Austin Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetlink1983

Reaction score
Been a homebrewer in Houston for the past few years and always used Defalcos. Unfortunately/fortunately , I just received my first order from AHS and was really impressed. Built three recipes on their site, got it two days later ready to go. For some reason, Defalcos has been running out and or not replacing a lot of grain/equipment in a prompt manner and I've been having to make subs for my recipes which is bothersome when you're trying to tweak stuff. Hope they can get it together so they don't lose more customers. If you haven't given AHS a shot, do it, you wont regret it!

I used Defalco's for years when I lived over there. Any time I had a problem, I would ask Scott Birdwell about it to make sure he knew. Nothing wrong with using AHS, they're 1st class. - Dwain

Yeah I talked to them and it sounds like they need more space. They can't keep grain in stock and can't tell me when it's coming. Maybe they do more extract business than all grain? Still gonna use them for yeast and a few other things, plus the guys that work there are knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions.

What part of Houston you live in?? There is a small place in clear lake that pretty much always has what you need. Not big name hardware like Defalco's but i buy all my grain from them because its close to me. I use to go to Defalco's all the time but stopped a few years ago because i hate driving all the way over there. B&S Brewers Guild in Clear Lake or maybe its Nassau Bay...just google it

FYI -You probably know us for having low prices on brewing and dispensing equipment but we recently expanded into ingredients. If you like please stop in one day. We don't have the ingredients up on the site yet but will in the next few weeks.

I just received my first order from AHS and was really impressed.

You must like packing peanuts more than me. I know Forrest hates people bringing this up but as someone who spends thousands of dollars a year on homebrewing supplies, I'll bring up again that the time it takes to unpack is important to me. B3 and NB excel at convenient packaging (and stuff I can reuse for comp boxes - as someone who unpacks comp boxes, I will never send one filled with peanuts). Until AHS starts stocking something I want and can't get elsewhere or stops using peanuts, I'll avoid them. If either of these conditions change, I'll use them. Their prices are certainly good but for me that is secondary.

You must like packing peanuts more than me. I know Forrest hates people bringing this up but as someone who spends thousands of dollars a year on homebrewing supplies, I'll bring up again that the time it takes to unpack is important to me. B3 and NB excel at convenient packaging (and stuff I can reuse for comp boxes - as someone who unpacks comp boxes, I will never send one filled with peanuts). Until AHS starts stocking something I want and can't get elsewhere or stops using peanuts, I'll avoid them. If either of these conditions change, I'll use them. Their prices are certainly good but for me that is secondary.

We will gladly take and reuse any packing peanuts that anyone is thinking of throwing away.

The AHS peanuts are easy to get rid of just put them in the sink turn the water on and they disintegrate easy fix. But I got fed up with Delfalcos long ago I have used B&S a couple of times but will definitely be using keg cowboy now!

Really? The packing peanuts are that much of a pain? Sure, one or two usually fall out while I'm unpacking my order from the box, but after that, you pick up the loose ones and just toss them in the garbage or a sink and move on. Takes literally 10-15 seconds. Am I missing something, is it really that much of a hassle?

Really? The packing peanuts are that much of a pain? Sure, one or two usually fall out while I'm unpacking my order from the box, but after that, you pick up the loose ones and just toss them in the garbage or a sink and move on. Takes literally 10-15 seconds. Am I missing something, is it really that much of a hassle?

I am with you... this is the funniest complaint I have ever heard. :fro:

They're packing peanuts dissolve in water. Pour 'em in the sink, doesn't get much easier than that. AND, it's better for the environment! :mug:

you must like packing peanuts more than me. I know forrest hates people bringing this up but as someone who spends thousands of dollars a year on homebrewing supplies, i'll bring up again that the time it takes to unpack is important to me. B3 and nb excel at convenient packaging (and stuff i can reuse for comp boxes - as someone who unpacks comp boxes, i will never send one filled with peanuts). Until ahs starts stocking something i want and can't get elsewhere or stops using peanuts, i'll avoid them. If either of these conditions change, i'll use them. Their prices are certainly good but for me that is secondary.

lmao!!

I went to defalco's once to get my very first kit several years ago but it's just too far away, same as kegcowboy (you're also in a pain in the ass part of town to drive in). If I have to get my ingredients locally I usually go to brew it yourself near the woodlands, they're right off 45 a little north of the rayford/sawdust exit. It's not the prettiest shop but he hasn't let me down on grain/hop/yeast selection yet. Everytime I'm in there, usually about once a week, he has a new shipment of grain.

His time must be very valuable. Maybe he is a IPO billionaire who makes $2073 every second. He only allocates 6 hours per month for his hobby and going over here and there adds up. :) jk

Nice trick about putting them in a sink and pouring water over them. I didnt know about it. My coworker at work sells stuff on ebay and I bring him peanuts and / or bubble wrap sometimes.

Back