Hot wort in better bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
Is it possible to put very hot wort (flameout temps) into a Better Bottle for no-chill brewing?

Nope, PETE Plastic will melt. Use a keg or an HDPE container, I use AquaTainer's from the sporting goods section in Wal-Mart.

Is it possible to put very hot wort (flameout temps) into a Better Bottle for no-chill brewing?

Ha ha You can find out yourself what PET does when you hit it with boiling water by pouring boiling water into a PET soda bottle.

I was unaware what a wonderful tough super duty large diameter shrink tube a soda bottle is.

I artually bought one to try out for my first brew. I plan on putting the spout on and sitting it so the spout it up top. Then putting a tube on it and sticking in a jar of Star San. I expect that should work well enough for a blowoff/lock.

Just to be safe, I'm splitting my 7 gallon batch in half. Half into the Aquatainer and half into an old glass carboy. Then I can complare the final results to see if there's any ill-effects of the Aquatainer. But I suspect there won't be.

To the OP there are some concerns about #1 PETE leaching chemicals in high heat applications even water bottles left in cars or trucks. Just how valid those concerns are I have no way of knowing.

Is there a recycle number on the Aqua-Tainer to indicate what type of PE plastic it is made from..

Latest posts

Back