hot water heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I was thinking (usually a bad thing) and was looking for ways to cut my cleaning time down. I just noticed I have a hose drain on the bottom of my hot water heater in the basement where I store all my stuff. Is there anything wrong with using this to fill my buckets, brewing equipment, and kegs to clean with? It would take a lot less time to fill 5 gallons than from the sink hot water.

thoughts?

well, the water may be a little hot to handle. Also when I drain mine (a couple times a year) I get a ton of built up crap from the bottom of the water heater that comes out. I'm sure if you used it regularly that it wouldn't be an issue, but for the first couple of uses the water is going to be gross. Just my thoughts

Those valves aren't really very good quality generally and could be problematic as far as leaking after being used a few times. The bigger issue is that the cold water supply tube runs to the bottom of the tank so after you draw some water off you may see a dramatic temperature drop.

Latest posts

Back