Hot Water from Hot Water Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done some searching and can't find what I'm looking for....

My hot water tank is in the garage.... I've read the threads about using hot water from the tank for strike/sparge/boil water. For now...I just want hot water for cleaning.

Is it OK to add a tee directly to the output of the tank so I can have hot water in the garage? I was thinking of removing the flex pipe on the output, adding a tee with a ball valve and hose adaptor, then re attaching the flex to the other end of the tee.

Is this OK? What kind of threads are typically on a hot water tank?

Thanks!

I've done some searching and can't find what I'm looking for....

My hot water tank is in the garage.... I've read the threads about using hot water from the tank for strike/sparge/boil water. For now...I just want hot water for cleaning.

Thanks!
What kind of threads are typically on a hot water tank?
On our water heater the nipple is a 3/4" NPT-M

I installed a Y at the washing machine to supply my hot cleaning water.

100_2145.jpg

As long as you are using it for cleaning only, why not just attach a hose to the water heater's drain fitting? After you have flushed out the heater once or twice you should be able to use this water for your cleaning needs. You should be regularly flushing out the heater anyway. The first couple of times you open the drain you will get a lot of crud out as the minerals in your water tend to accumulate at the bottom of the heater. The end result of this might be that your heater lasts longer, as you will be flushing it more regularly than most people.

On a typical water heater there is a long "dip tube" that runs from the cold inlet of the heater to about 8-10" of the bottom of the tank to deliver the coldest water to the bottom. When you open the bottom drain valve you will find that you will be getting water off the bottom of the tank, with that water being replace by water from the "dip tube" of the cold fill. You won't be getting the hot water you are looking for to clean with. If you can solder, cut a tee fitting on the hot side of heater with a boiler brain on it.

+1 for Klawdawg... you said you have a flexible outlet connection... so you should be able to work something out.

On a typical water heater there is a long "dip tube" that runs from the cold inlet of the heater to about 8-10" of the bottom of the tank to deliver the coldest water to the bottom. When you open the bottom drain valve you will find that you will be getting water off the bottom of the tank, with that water being replace by water from the "dip tube" of the cold fill. You won't be getting the hot water you are looking for to clean with. If you can solder, cut a tee fitting on the hot side of heater with a boiler brain on it.

Klawdawg, what is a boiler brain?

Fancy name for the valves pictured in the post above in the wash machine picture. the 1/2in style you can solder 1/2in pipe into or use a female thread adapter.

Thanks Klawdawg. The hotwater heater at my house is in the garage and hot water out there might come in handy. Think I found my next little project!

i did this exact same thing. t'd off the hot water outlet and put a ball valve in there. works great! you have to get a hose that can handle the heat, but i love it for cleaning.

i was using it for brew until i read a bunch about how this isn't a good idea. i'm not dead, and it certainly sped up brew day, but i decided to nix the idea because i'm paranoid. lol.

Good luck! let me know if I can help. Home brewing plumber in Wisco.

Thanks Klawdawg. First question.

I assume I'll have to turn off the heater (it's gas) as well as the water going into it and drain the tank completely before i cut the pipe.

Finally got around to doing this tonight...getting ready to brew Sunday. Worked great!!!

I think I know the answer but....what's the max temp for RV type hose? I assume they are only good for cold water.?.?.

Latest posts

Back