Hot Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmarcek

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently switched to AG and think I screwed the pooch on the last one. The recipe was the Nut Brown Ale found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/nut-brown-ag-30187/

I doubled the recipe for an 11 gallon batch. I also had just bought a digital thermometer that I decided to use. I mashed at what I thought was 154 F for an hour, then batch sparged to get up to around 13.25 gallons. At that point I was a little surprised that the first runnings didn't taste all that sweet, just a little bit. Everything else went fine, was able to cool quickly and pitch safale s-05 in both fermenters at around 70F. I measured the OG at 1.052 which was only two points off the recipe. The fermentation sort of sputtered along, never really built up any krausen and not a whole lot of activity. I just checked the gravity and its at 1.027 after about 4 days in the primary, with no real airlock activity going on. Also, the sample has no sweetness to it at all, it really tastes more starchy than anything. I later checked my thermometer in boiling water and it seems like it is reading about 10F low, so I'm guessing that I might have actually been mashing around 164 F. My question is, does this all seem to indicate that there are a lot of unfermentables in the wort from a hot mash?? I'm going to probably transfer to cornies in another week or so and let them sit for a while and see what happens.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It sounds like you pulled out a lot of unfermentables during your mash. US-05 is quick to reach full attenuation and after 4 days, unless it's fermenting rather cool, I'd say it's just about done. Give it a full week and check it again, it may drop a few more points, and if it doesn't, you can confirm that you mashed too hot.

Worst case scenario: You have made a tasty ~3.3% session beer, which really isn't a bad problem to have!

Definitely sounds like you mashed way too high. If it tastes good, proceed as usual. If not, adding a few crushed Beano tablets may help convert some of that residual starch and keep your fermentation going.

See if you can get some alpha amylase concentrate. Beano works, but it can make for a really thin, dry beer.

Thanks for the replies, lesson learned, check your thermometer before you use it.

Get a quality stem type thermometer. They last a long time. I have 4 of them so I can check several places without running back and forth. It also is good to have more than on in case of failure but so far none have failed. :)

Back