Hot Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerRenter

Reaction score
Noticed there was already a thread or two about fermentation temps. Sorry if this is redundant...

I brewed a light ale last weekend and left the carboy in the garage all week while I was in and out of town at work. Went into the garage tonight (where the carboy has been fermenting all week) and noticed how hot it was in there. I took a look at the thermometer (not attached d to the carboy) and noticed that the temp was 85 degrees at 10:15 PM at night! Our daytime highs have been in the mid 90's, so I'm sure the garage got up that high if not higher.

the airlock has already stopped firing, but should I dump it? I've always had a cool room in the house to ferment, but I finally got the garage all set up for all my equipment. Didn't even think twice about how hot it was going to get. Its a bummer if I have to scrap this one.

BeerRenter said:
...should I dump it?...

No! Chances are it's fine. I've had one or two batches get a little hot (before I started putting them in the basement) and they were all fine. It might have altered the taste a bit but it's not going to make your beer undrinkable.

And you can always dump it later if you decide it's not good enough.

Do not toss your beer. Let it run it's course up until you bottle. If everything is good then, go ahead an bottle it. (I'd recommend tasting a sample before you bottle just to see if any off flavors have developed, even then if they are not over-powering, I'd still bottle it anyway)

i too say assume its fine for now and proceed like normal.

even if there's a little off flavor to it, a fair amount could mellow out with some bottle aging.

Latest posts

Back