Hot break flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killervector

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 15 years. So, I like to think I know what I'm doing. Having said that, I've only done all grain for about the last 5, and have only about 20 batches of all grain to my name.

Question is, when I boil... I never get any hot break protein flakes. I still end up with clear beers, but don't know why I wouldn't get them. My friend who taught me how to do all-grain always had little white flakes floating in his boil kettle, especially at the beginning.

Am I not boiling hard enough? I boil not full-blast... I keep the flame up just enough to get my sanke keg to boil.

This does depend from malt to malt... But the little white flakes that he may be getting might actually be the flour from the mash... Which usually means that he did not runoff enough until his wort cleared.

You get clear beers because you filter well enough. Do you see little flakey stuff when you chill... thats your cold break and thats totally acceptable to see in the boil kettle when chilling

Latest posts

Back