Hose Braid Came Loose in Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
I didn't double check the clamp on my hose braid before starting this morning, and while mashing in the hose braid popped off. I've got about 30lbs of grain in 9g of 150F water.

Any creative solutions to getting the hose braid back on there? I figure worst case scenario is dumping everything into my BK, reattaching the braid, then dumping everything back into the mash tun, but would obviously like to avoid that if at all possible.

Happened to me once, I tilted the keggle, reached in the mash with gloves on and re-attached it. It was still really hot.

I've had a stuck mash twice, both batches turned out great though! I dug out as much mash as I needed, and placed it in buckets. I then filled my rubber brewing gloves with water to keep my hands cool, pulled the dip tube to clean it out, and re-installed the dip tube. Like I said, the beer was fine. I found out I was running my RIMS to soon after dough-in and that was causing my mash to stick.

Yeah, I ended up pulling some of the mash out and then tilting the MT so I could reattach. Was just hoping somebody knew of a clever trick.

If you knocked it off because you were trying to unstick your mash. Rice hulls help prevent stuck mashes.

If you knocked it off because you were trying to unstick your mash. Rice hulls help prevent stuck mashes.

I didn't double check the clamp on my hose braid before starting this morning, and while mashing in the hose braid popped off.

Well, if he decided not to brew, this problem never would have happened. Just dont brew next time, and your hose wont pop off.

Rice hulls are a great way to keep dough balls from forming, and useful in preventing a stuck mash, no matter if the braid is attached properly or not. See...screw driver + rice hulls...now he can brew again!

Back