Hoptizing Sam Adams Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalemon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a Sam Adams Summer Ale type beer but would like to up the hop character a bit. Only on my third batch so I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Thanks for any ideas! See the recipe below.

2 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.81 %
3 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 41.94 %
1 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Lemon Zest (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I haven't had Sam Adam's summer ale (that I can remember) but the beer you have planned will not have any real hop flavor. you might want to move your 30 min addition to 15 min. Maybe increase the amount so as not to decrease the bitterness. I know you aren't looking for much hop but some more maybe?

Yes I am just looking to add some hop flavor to the given recipe. I like the summer ale but think it could use a distinctive hop flavor, though nothing huge. What if I do another hop addition at 15 minutes in addition to my 60 min and 30 min Hallertauers? Also, any suggestions on a hop variety for that addition? I love Cascades but do you think they would clash? Thanks.

I have stopped making 30 min additions. Seems to me you loose any flavor and aroma at 30 min and you also loose bittering, its sorta nomans land for hops. Personally, I would bitter with a higher AA hop, then make a 15 min addition of Hallertauer and cascade. Sounds nice.

Back