Hoptimism (Robusta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
Ingredients:
  1. 3kg pale malted barley.
  2. 250g crystal malt (aka amber).
  3. 25L tap water
  4. 120g of hop pellets (~6% Golding split into 2 hopsocks).
  5. 1kg Whitworths sugar.
Directions:

Transfer the grains into the mash bag and immerse with water until the grains are well covered. The temperature needs to be maintained at 64ºC for β-amylase; although another blogger claims he usually goes to ~70ºC since this is α-amylase enzyme. The wort should be very sugary tasting by 60-90 minutes.

Collect the wort.

Sparge using kettle boiled water, (use pro or a garden sprayer lance) in the form of a fine mist over the top of the grains . Exercise patience not to jumbo-jet the water over the grains too vigorously by twisting the nozzle. It takes 90 minutes. Using a garden watering can would obviously lower the extraction proficiency.

Collect the wort. {Clean the electric heating element thoroughly to remove any left over scum before attempting to do the boil}. Add 1kg of sugar to the wort at this stage. I throw the leftover grains into the garbage bag, although it is possible to compost or okay to use as an animal fodder for swine. Squeeze the grain bag to extract the last of the fluids from the bag before the rest of the contents is considered 'spent' and no further value to us.

The plastic bucket should be filled near to the brim at this point. I don't know the exact number of digits in litres. Transfer enough jugs of wort from the top of the bucket back into to the the boiling vessle so that the electric filament is well covered. Add in both the hopsocks now rather than later. Fuse the electric. Now, gradually keep decanting jugs of clear wort from the top of the bucket (don't disturb anything at the bottom of the bucket to begin with, even if it has a tap, it's just better to decant from the top of the plastic bucket with a jug. Clouds of scum settles at the bottom in the form of a sediment. This is what overloads the electric filament and forces it into an emergency shut-down operation). It takes at least 60 minutes until the entire bucket of wort was completely transfered & it by now it should be at a full boil (100°C). After being contented that the rolling boil had been achieved, cut the electric off. Now, transfer the hopsocks into the fermentation bucket and tap all of the wort into it. You can either accept or reject the cloudy scum from down at the bottom, but the choice is clearly completely obviously optional.

Leave it to cool for 6-12 hours before pitching the suds from the end of the last keg which would still have yeast in it.

Leave for 14-21-28 days.

Last edited:
I racked off my beer today into a couple of 2L soda bottles as well as topped up my keg. My last batch did not have this really heavy Krausen. And I know if it gets infected it can turn the taste sour. It does look like a clean krausen though.
DSCF0791.JPG
DSCF0792.JPG

I racked off my beer today into a couple of 2L soda bottles as well as topped up my keg. My last batch did not have this really heavy Krausen. And I know if it gets infected it can turn the taste sour. It does look like a clean krausen though.
View attachment 676573 View attachment 676574

Question: OG 1.02?

Statement: That krausen looks suspect, and its typically hard to have an infection during this portion of fermentation.
Statement: Is that a racking cane of sorts? If so, why is it directly in the krausen, or why did you rack when it was high krausen?

It has a filter not to let solid particles through.
But why is your racking cane and a filter in your batch during fermentation.
Going out on a limb, if you’ve use that filter before, you are going to infect every batch with it, because this one is DEF infected

Back