Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
Should i be boiling my hops in a bag? I dont want to do this, but how am i supposed to get all the hop gunk out before i put it in primary? Of do i leave all the hops that ive boiled in with the primary? Im a little confused....

Don't worry about the gunk. The hop pellets break down and are very fine. I am not sure that a bag will do much good. The bag might also effect the utilization of the hops. When you dump the wort into your fermenter, you can use a stainless kitchen stainer. That will take a lot out. You can also get a funnel that has a filter in it. (I tried and they are a pain in the but. They clog up A LOT) After you ferment, the trub will setlle to the bottom. You can rack your feremented beer off of the trub leaving it behind. Just be careful not to disturb the trub when you rack and you should be good to go.

kevinb said:
Don't worry about the gunk. The hop pellets break down and are very fine. I am not sure that a bag will do much good. The bag might also effect the utilization of the hops. When you dump the wort into your fermenter, you can use a stainless kitchen stainer. That will take a lot out. You can also get a funnel that has a filter in it. (I tried and they are a pain in the but. They clog up A LOT) After you ferment, the trub will setlle to the bottom. You can rack your feremented beer off of the trub leaving it behind. Just be careful not to disturb the trub when you rack and you should be good to go.

Thank you! Thats exactly what i needed to know. I think i can go ahead with my boil tonight, and not be overly worried about what im doing.

Still sucks if you are going to wash your yeast afterwards.
I think the nylon mini hop bags are cheap enough. I have one that im going to try next brew this weekend. Gonna tie it closed with some cooking string, then fish it out at each hop addition, add the pellets to it, then tie it back off.

Anyone else use a hop bag and happy with the less trub action ?

I don't brew without my hop spider....I see no issues with hop utilization and got confirmation on this last week ...my IPA took a 1st and runner up for Best of Show

I Mainly use a hop spider so my plate chiller doesn't get clogged

Hop debris in the primary is fine

Schumed said:
I don't brew without my hop spider....I see no issues with hop utilization and got confirmation on this last week ...my IPA took a 1st and runner up for Best of Show

I Mainly use a hop spider so my plate chiller doesn't get clogged

Hop debris in the primary is fine

I just googled hop spider and found a video link. This is a great idea! Im doing it... Soonish.

I use the nylon hop bags for my hop additions. I haven't noticed any change in my hop utilization, and it takes out a lot of the mess. I just tie them shut with the string on the bag.

I def like using hop sacks in the boil or dry hopping. Hop sacks for pellets,grain bags saved from kits for whole leaf hops. I also use a dual layer fine mesh strainer going into the FV. Less trub means more clear beer going into the bottling bucket. Also less gunk when washing the yeast.

You have a couple of options that were mentioned so far, none of which are extremely better than the next. But I would not blame the bag on decreased hop utilization. That would be the equivalent of blaming tea bags for producing a weak tea.

What makes the most sense for me is to toss them into the boil loose. And when it's time to siphon the wort to the fermenter, wrap the bag around the auto-siphon. If fermenting in a bucket, you can wrap another bag around the buckets' brim for double-filtering power.

I've started using metal mesh things made for loose teas. If you use whole leaf hit the Asian market they have big ones and smaller one.
Yes they cost a couple bucks for one but I don't like reusing the hop socks so it will pay for itself someday.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from hd clamped to handle of pot. You can wash it out and reuse it, plus there is plenty of space for hop utilization. Held all the hops for a pliny clone no problem.

brewinginnc said:
I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from hd clamped to handle of pot. You can wash it out and reuse it, plus there is plenty of space for hop utilization. Held all the hops for a pliny clone no problem.

Thats my favorite.

I use a nylon hop sack -- been reusing the same one for over a year now.. I just dump the spent hops gunk into the trash, turn it inside out and rinse it under the tap. Hang dry, and its ready to go again.

Think i could rack it into a 3rd fermenter for a second dry hop?

Back