Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, there is no real answer to that. Sorta like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. Personal taste is going to be the determining factor. Me, I enjoy most of the C hops. Cascade, Centennial, etc.

I'm a big Amarillo and Simcoe fan! Nothing wrong with those C hops though. In fact, Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Citra....there all good.

It really is up to the styles you like to brew and your own particular tastes.

Are you asking so you can grow some? or just to stock for you own brewing?

There are lots of websites out there which will give you some ideas about what each hop is good for and what the flavor is like... stuff like:

http://brewsupplies.com/hops_reference_chart.htm

http://kotmf.com/articles/hopslist.php

and any online homebrew supply store that sells hops will have a decent description of the hop...

Personally, I started off just trying to get to know a few hops well. I choose Nugget for my main bittering hop, and Cascade & Centennial for my flavor/aroma hops. I've used them all a lot.

Recently, I've starting using Chinook & Columbus here and there... Amarillo and Northen Brewer as well. I've done experiements with Liberty, Mt. Hood, Strisselspalt too.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I'm new to brewing. Followed a lot of recipes. Each with different hops. Trying to find a few people have used regularly to buy in larger packages and save some money as I do with barley. Thank you for the information.

You could start your research into hops by looking at classic beer styles and the hops that are used to brew them. That should give you insight of what a noble hop is. Then look at American hop varieties.

If you are planting rhizomes I would recommend a considering two things while deciding which to grow. The climate in which you live and what type of beer is your favorite.

Back