Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
Please discuss your favorite hops as well as hop combinations and the styles or brands of beers that use those combinations. Is it better to use one hop or multiple hops in a brew? Why? Do some hops go together and others not? Why?

For example:

Saaz - the definitive Pilsner hop. Combine with Hallertauer or Mt Hood for a complimentary/complex character. Can also be used in ales if you like the skunky/floral character.

Can y'all help me figure out what some of these other hops are for? Which styles? Which other hops compliment them in combination?

Goldings - Pale Ale? Stout?

Simcoe - IPA?

Amarillo - IPA?

I like Cascades for aroma, considering I have a ton of them in the freezer courtesy of my stepdad and his runaway hop plants. :D

For years I thought my IPA's and APA's lacked hop flavor and aroma, until a friend turned me on to Columbus. It is the best hop for flavor and aroma, it is incredable for dry hopping. I recomend it to anyone who is into IPA.

Simcoe and Amarillo, Newport and Horizon, Magnum and Cenntenial. Just a few of my favorite combos!

Back